need brake drum kit and shoes for my 53 dodge

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i called napa, standard, autozone with no luck. gonna call carquest tommorrow. took rear wheels off today and took drum off and i have no cylinders or shoes and now front brakes arent working... i ran a couple red lights today. gotta get brakes soon. let me know thanks

Dodge is a Tuffy [cl Really even with my 64 it's hard to find all the brake parts and if you do they are very pricey. If at all possible you need to update all your brake parts to the 70's model stuff at least.

Napa is your best bet but you may have to carry in the parts and just try to match them up to new as the books they have only go back so far.

yeah thats what napa employee told me on phone... problem is i have zero inerts in my rear drums:( what does it all intel to update to later models? expensive? im low on funds for my 53.

brakes

Ok so what I found today was not much. I am online at work with over 15 auto part suppliers, and the only thing I found is advance auto parts shows the rear wheel cylinders and the rear brake hose, they are order items, but only a few days.
So you will have to find everything else, or make something else work, brake shoes should be no big deal, need to figure out what size drums you have, diamiater and depth, use late model adjusters and spring kits, may have to do a little cutting on the shoe base to make the adjuster fit right, or the shoe to fit the wheel cylinder, drill a few holes in the backing plate to stick the hold down pins through, but it all can be made to work.
How about just changing out the rear end to something more modern, 8&3/4 from a dart or something like that, I bet there is something out there the same width, spring mounts can be fabbed and welded anywhere to make it work.
A weekend of work making the brakes work, or changing the rear end will be a lot better than what you have now, NONE !!!

man Lowandraty... thanks so much for all your efforts. you are excatly right as i was talking with one of my older buddies that has owned a few late model 40's trucks and older vehicles. he said same thing. he thinks we can just take some parts in carquest or napa and just match up as best we can. he thinks that still will be cheaper than changing out axles and what knot but he also thinks that might be better for the long run. We got the front brakes wrking very strong today as well and he is planning on helping me with all kinds of stuff... after rear brakes im gonna rebuild carb and then i think we are gonna lower it by removing u shakles and bringing leaf springs up closer to frame. I just gotta make safety first!!! Just had a great cruise down the seawall and it was a beautiful sunny day. send me some pics of your rides brutha. heres my email [email protected]

Latest posts

Back