need help on metal thickness

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moparcowboy

Like to us either 2" X 3" or 2" X 4" sq. tubing on my 31 Plymouth coupe build, 134" wheel base, quarter elipic springs out front, 392 Hemi. what thickness of tubing do I need? [;)

Agree with BH, but with the Hemi, I would make it, 1/4" with 2x3, or if you use 3/16 go 2x4!! 3/16 2x3 can be a little flimsy without a lot of cross braces!! Hope I said that right!!

Are you sure on that wheelbase? 134" on a '31 Coupe is wayyyy long. That's going to want to flex more (especially with that heavy 392), plus it will take a 10-acre field to turn around. May want to reel it in a bit. Other than that, 3/16 is fine, 1/4 is overkill, but some people like that...

Yep, that wb is waaaaaaaaay long. Besides taking a couple of acres to make a turn, any frame will sag in the center stretched out that far.

Don

I have seen people use 1/8 wall, but I wouldnt. I think 3/16 is perfect, strong enough and thick enough to tap.

1/4 is probably over-kill, weighs a lot more and cost more.

I think the biggest issue is how the frame is layed out, built, braced and welded.

2x4 x 1/8" tubing would be more then enough for this, considering the total weight to power,your not moving a bus here!
You'll get your strenght from the overall material size,(2x4 verse's 2x3) and unless you undercut your welds,all will be fine Brian

Latest posts

Back