need ideas/opinions please

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjmahone66

i have the back half of a 1950 Chevy pickup frame grafted to a '76 Camaro front clip. trying to put a '54 Chevy 3100 body on this and i'm not exactly sure how to go about it. i've thought about this for far too long and i need some comfirmation or a point in the right direction to help me get my a$$ off the pott.

i really only have two ideas about how this could/should be done, but i know others have conquered similar issue... please weigh in with your thoughts or experience. i know my computer generated drawings are crude, but you get the idea i think. thanks a lot.

current:
frame_mods_op_640x360.jpg

idea #1:
frame_mods_2_op_640x360.jpg

idea #2:
frame_mods_3_op_640x360.jpg

If it was mine I'd be doing some sort of variation of #1 if you plan to run all the front sheet metal or #2 if it's going to be visible.

I agree with them, I would follow the contour of the rad. support

You do need to make sure not to interfere with the steering box location!!

This is how my '42 is done with a '74 Nova front clip. Just a mount with reinforcements under it to support it welded right to the crossmember. It looks clean and my inner fenders bolt to the support also.

Attachments

• DSC03547.jpg
    DSC03547.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC03556.jpg
    DSC03556.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
On my IH I did like pic#1. I had the whole front clip together to see where everything lined up. Measured and checked, measured cut and checked. I ended up just running a bar from frame horn to frame horn with a couple washers and cut down body mounts for spacers

my way

on the dodge l used a 1977 nova clip. we cut the frame horns off of the nova clip, boxed the "stump" and then welded the oringal frame pieces back on with a flat bar in the middle to support the raditor and front end. this is becauase the raditor support is also where the nose area bolts to hold up the front-end. hope this helps.

Later:cool:

Attachments

• dodge truck and sunvisior classic fulton brand 010.jpg
    dodge truck and sunvisior classic fulton brand 010.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 12
  • dodge truck and sunvisior classic fulton brand 011.jpg
    dodge truck and sunvisior classic fulton brand 011.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 13
motor/tranny/driveshaft angles

looking good:) keep us updated.

how are all the angles looking?

before ya weld in everything and do the rear-end and cross member for the trans, check all the angles. l got mine all together and l had +9 degrees on the drive shaft. we had to C notch the frame and put the rear-end on top of the leafs to get +3 degrees, that's the best l can get, but l can live with that.

Later:cool:

Latest posts

Back