Need input on brake system design

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rat-on

Hey guys; I'm getting ready to plumb the brake lines and need expertise opinions please. My roadster pickup weighs about 1000 pounds. I am using drum brakes front and rear, under floor manual tandem master cylinder from 68' Camaro application new from NAPA. I plan on installing a manual proportioning valve for the rear circut. My main concern is residual valves. Supposedly most of the stock production drum/drum master cylinders have them internally and none need to be added inline...........what is your experience out there? Thanks, Jim.:D

Using them won't cause a problem. Not using them might require that you add them later.
I used them on my '53 with the master under the floor and it all works fine. Don't know if I would have problems without them.

How did you get it to weigh only 1000 pounds? Aluminum engine block?

Usually I found that is the master cylinders is the same height or lower then the wheel cylinders you will need the inline residual valves.

If there not used I found that you will have to pump the brakes a couple of time to get them to work. Not something I want to do if I have to stop fast.

Repairing the workbench and back wall of your garage is not fun when you run into it with your 1941 ford. Don't ask

Using them won't cause a problem. Not using them might require that you add them later.
I used them on my '53 with the master under the floor and it all works fine. Don't know if I would have problems without them.

How did you get it to weigh only 1000 pounds? Aluminum engine block?
I'm using a 350 pound chevy v6 coupled to a turbo 350 trans in a t bucket style car, not to much weight there. So as far as the '68 camaro master cylinder having internal residual vaves, how can that be confirmed for sure without disassembly?

i hate to say this , but you could have your parts store call the a-1 cardone tech line and they should be able to answer that . they are the rebuilders for almost evrything . even reboxed stuff . if your not using a rebuilt unit dont tell them that . you just need the part #

Latest posts

Back