Need Rear Shock Help ASAP

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustylocke

I just bought Speedways 3 Hole Axle bracket to relocate my shocks along with JUST ABOUT EVERY TAB THEY OFFER . My question is do I mount the shocks straight up and down OR 45 deg forward, push them out at the bottom and pull them in at the top? I can mount these just about anywhere in any locations.The question is which one is the correct way for travel? What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_3072RESIZE.jpg
    IMG_3072RESIZE.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3073resize.jpg
    IMG_3073resize.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3085RESIZE.jpg
    IMG_3085RESIZE.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3084.jpg
    IMG_3084.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 38
IMO the shock has optimal function by design if you mount them as far out (closest to wheels) as possible and straight up and down. You can lean the tops of the shocks in toward the center but no more than 30 degrees as a general rule. That being said, I've seen shocks mounted all kinds of ways in all kinds of directions.

I like to tilt them in at the top to take some of the strength away on a light car. My '40 Plymouth truck has the shocks tilted forward at the top at least 30 degrees. That is the original mounting arrangement.

So after all that said do they mount from closes to the wheel to the center of the frame or cloeses to the wheel mounted forward?

I think your mock up looks about right if you want to lean them forward; since your frame is pretty narrow that's what I'd do. Here's a shot of my '53 Chevy PU, the mounts used to be outside the frame but in order to get wider tires on it I moved them inside. The position is pretty much the same. The exhaust system is for a Fox body Mustang from Summitt Racing.

Attachments

• Exhaust.jpg
    Exhaust.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 36
An update if your interested

Here is what I came up with. Shocks forward and one leaf out of the pack. Rides better.

Attachments

• IMG_4552resize.jpg
    IMG_4552resize.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 24
  • _MG_4581RESIZE.jpg
    _MG_4581RESIZE.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 23
  • _MG_4580resize.jpg
    _MG_4580resize.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 27

Latest posts

Back