Need some help...door chop ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Menace

Ok, maybe a brain fart, or maybe just stupidity. :D I did my cab chop first and now I'm movin' on to the doors. Can I pretty much chop the doors anywhere, or do I need to stay in the same area as the cab cuts ? I might be over thinkin' this, but I rather smoke my brain and ask for help than screw it up.
Thanks

chop

the best bet is to chop it in the same spot you cut the top if you dont you may have a mise match at the door gap

the best bet is to chop it in the same spot you cut the top if you dont you may have a mise match at the door gap

That's what I'm doing. It was just hard to find a measuring reference point. I should have put the doors on and chopped it all at once. But, live and learn, just have to do alot of measuring before cutting.
Thanks for the responses.

Try using a piece of cardboard mocked up like the front edge of your door - with hinge placement. Line that up in the door opening and use it to transfer your cut line back to the door.

That is not always the best bet, and is sometimes not possible. If you measure right and know how to cut and weld properly you can cut it wherever you need to. Every chop is different. Take a look at photos of most any professional chop in progress - The doors are cut after the chop if not removed alltogether. It is much easier to get the top right and then make the necessary adjustments to the doors than trying to do it all at once. It is simply a matter of making everything fit again - not rocket science...

chop

b.e.d. is right cutting your top with the doors on will not ensure a proper fit same goes for making matched cuts(to the top) as you can see in the pics none of the door cuts were match'd to the top cuts on this cab it is more important to get the top perfect then adjust your dooe cuts accordingly the doors are more forgiving and easier to build up or grind down and weld back together. either way you go post some pics. dp1

Attachments

• DSCF0018 (2).jpg
    DSCF0018 (2).jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCF0028 (2).jpg
    DSCF0028 (2).jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCF0031.jpg
    DSCF0031.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 51
Thanks for the responses guys, for some reason I'm not gettin' e-mail notification of responses. I'll post pics, as soon as I get a little further.

Latest posts

Back