Need some help with my Poncho.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

essexrat

Have been debating on what to run in my 52 Poncho...she's running the original 239 flathead six with a 3 speed manual. I am also still running the stock rear end, which means I'm still using the torque tube setup. Now, I'm not sure if I've asked this before or not, but...is there a way to put a newer overhead valve six(235 maybe) in without having to change the entire drive train? Is it possible to adapt a newer engine to the original 3 speed? I love the flattie, but she just doesn't have much life left...I would consider a temporary swap until I could get her built up... Also, are there any speed toys...dual intakes,headers...stuff like that available for the Pontiac 239 flattie? Thanx

I have the same 239 in my 54 but with the powerglide.I plan on running it for the summer at least to see how it runs.Street rodder magazine has been doing a low buck build up on a 54 chevy,pretty much the same as a cdn 54 pontiac,so you might get some ideas there as to what can be used for motors,front suspension swaps,rear axle swaps.Not sure whats availible for speed parts for the 239 as they used a different motor in the chevy.I bet a guy could swap in a chevy inline 6 and 3 speed pretty easy and keep the torque tube setup.Maybe try over at canadianponcho.ca,they might know better what if any hot rod parts they make for our canadian pontiacs.

Thanx for the info...would like to keep the car as original as possible, so a V8 isn't exactly the route I want to take...yet. As for the Pontiac Speed parts, I'll check out the site you recommended...Where you from anyway?

I am from just outside calgary,alberta.I have a 54 pontiac pathfinder special deluxe 4 door that i picked up last spring.Pretty much bone stock so just getting it all back together after rebuilding the broken powerglide.Almost ready for start up.I also have a 54 pontiac pathfinder sedan delivery,not many around,about 290ish built about 50 or so known to exsist.It needs a complete resto but i found a second one so hopefully i can make one of two.

You sure you have a torque-tube in your 52? My 54 Poncho had an open drive-line in it with the flat-8/hydramatic. Double check, Pontiac started with open driveshafts earlier like Olds and Caddys. Good luck with your Poncho, loved mine and sure do miss it...

yes his 52 will have a torque tube,my 54 still has a torque tube in it as well.Canadian pontiacs are way different than their american cousins.Mine is basically a 54 chevy from the firewall back but canadian pontiac sheetmetal from the firewall forward.Different trunk,different back glass than the american chiefton.My driveline consists of a flathead inline 6 239 cubic inch,with a 2 spd cast iron powerglide automatic,It seems like the canadian factories were using up all the old gm surplus parts to build a car.For instance my motor mounts for the 239 are the same as a 39-45chevy car.They were actually susposed to have a hydramatic trans but due to a fire in the plant that supplied the hydramatics the first 3000 or so got powerglides instead.Mine is #13 off the line according to the vin and the 2nd special deluxe built in 54.

Latest posts

Back