Need some Ideas--Dodge C-800 Rat??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMBryant

Here are some pics of my truck. I want to keep all the sheet metal so I might lower the front, C notch the back?? Would love to get the tanks on the ground. I have had this truck for years, and all of you guys have inspired me to rat it out. Any tips and suggestions would be great!! im going to throw a pic of a binder I found on here that i like, of course mine wont have a fancy paint job or aluminum wheels!!

Attachments

• justin may 10 001.JPG
    justin may 10 001.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 66
  • justin may 10 002.JPG
    justin may 10 002.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 51
  • justin may 10 006.JPG
    justin may 10 006.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 49
  • justin may 10 007.JPG
    justin may 10 007.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 46
  • International rat rod.jpg
    International rat rod.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 98
thats gonna be a cool project..Z the frame about 2 ft and go from there[;):D..needs a 8.2 cummins

Dont remind me!!! I had 222" wb school bus chassis with 5.9 cummins and allison tranny but I had to sell it due to some hard times. So looks like Im going to stick with the 413 and 5/2 speed tranny.

That sounds toooo familiar.. I built a 56 GMC 1 ton with a 5.9 and 5 speed..I could probably replace the tranny for what I sold the whole truck for :rolleyes: I've seen an old Mack done in flat black with red wheels that looked cool, even though that paint scheme is way over-used in my opinion..

What ya gonna do with the back? Keep the 5th wheel? Flat bed?

I was thinking flatbed. We are in the dirt moving business so I thought Id might add some old explosive boxes to the flat bed that we used to use for day storage of dynamite. and maybe some old drill steel to kind of give it a blasting, explosive theme

Last edited:
I need some advice from yall pros?? You mentioned "Z" the frame. Is that a must for getting it pretty low?? Like I mentioned I am really new at this.

I figured I can flip the leafs on the front under the axle and possibly remove a few leafs because I have a few extra. Another option might be air ride?? the truck has air brakes so that might work in lowering it also?? Just throwing some stuff out there

I think Z ing the frame would be about the only way to get the cab low. I would Z it in front and back of the cab. What are you using for power? It probably had a 413-3 if it was gas.

thats what I figured. Yes it does have a 413, not sure about the 3 though?

Are you going to run it without fenders? It looks like you only have about 8-10 inches of wheel travel before the front tires will hit the fenders. Smaller wheels will help that of course but might not look right.

Are you going to run it without fenders? It looks like you only have about 8-10 inches of wheel travel before the front tires will hit the fenders. Smaller wheels will help that of course but might not look right.

Wasnt planning on running it without fenders, but might be something to consider. Fenders on the truck are pretty rusted up so might be an option.

I like it lowered and chopped.

Thats what Im talking about!!![dr RRfireman, I love the trucks you have built!

Looks Sweet lowered, and I could run low pro tires to give it more room to get down.

Got to love the swing out fender, makes it real nice to work on

I love the commercial rigs. everyone always wants to just use the body, but I think commercial rigs look as good or better then most cars and light weight rigs. I have a 1932 1 1/2 ton and everyone says just use the body and get rig of the rest, but I am going to hot rod it with the stock drive train. to me to hot rod something is to strip all the stuff that you dont need and give it the go fast parts. why not do it with a big rig, because that is the first thing you dont think of when you are looking to go fast. I would say leave the drive train, but modify it as you want. keep the stock wheels and put some low pro tires on there. like other people have said Z the frame in front and behind the cab and chop and channel the cab. I would leave the front clip on there, but maybe figure out some way to expose the motor. maybe shoot some zoomies or lake style headers out just above the top of the fenders, and a big visor too. looking forward to see what you come up with.

forgot to say there is a local guy around here that has one of these rigs sitting on what looks like a 1 ton chassis with a nice flat bed. I think the cab is all stock. it is a nice looking rig.

Latest posts

Back