Need some ideas for this 38 Chev truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZippyDoDog

I just picked this up last week for $100 (no title, but I just couldn't pass it up) but I'm not sure what route to go with it. I really want to leave the front fenders, grille and hood, just because I really like the looks of these trucks. The PO told me it was a 38, so I assume he's right. Ya gotta love the patina and door lettering on this thing.
But, how 'bout some ideas....
DSC01624.jpg

DSC01625.jpg

DSC01628.jpg

DSC01626.jpg

DSC01630.jpg

Last edited:
Great find! I say go with an s-10 frame (yeah I know I said it) some type of an engine. if the one in it runs go with it if you wish. I would take off the hood sides but leave the top, make you a grille of your choosing (a big web would look cool) pick up a bed and maybe widen the rear wheel wells to fit a set of duals? Do a slight drop maybe a channel (if the floor is shot) and run it. you could do some paint if you want but I think I would run it like it is for now.

There's my 2 pesos.

Thanks guys, I did think about the S-10 frame. I've got a 53 now and a regular cab longbed S-10 donor which is my next project. The nice thing about this truck though, I don't have to worry about which wheelbase S-10 I use.
I like the idea of getting rid of the hood sides. That would show off whatever engine I use.
I thought about maybe putting the body on a 70's Dually chassis. They seem to sell real cheap nowadays.

looks to be a ton or ton and a half truck. I doubt a Sh^t-10 frame will work under this truck. Me thinks the fenders are wider than a normal 1/2ton. Maybe you could find a late 70s early 80s chevy 1/2ton chassis and tuck it under there. That way you've allready got the V8 setup.

opinions are like armpits.....everybody has them and some of them stink!!:D

i would be looking for that late 70's - even 80's 1 ton truck and make a REAL truck out of it flatbed, dually wheels...bigblock v-8 and yes ditch the hood sides.... you might have some width issues on the front but a tape measure and some patience would be beneficial before purchasing any said make/model
leave the patina and concentrate all efforts on interior....

there's my armpits--uh...i mean opinion;):D

whatever ya decide to do with it ....keep us posted
HRP

opinions are like armpits.....everybody has them and some of them stink!!:D

i would be looking for that late 70's - even 80's 1 ton truck and make a REAL truck out of it flatbed, dually wheels...bigblock v-8 and yes ditch the hood sides.... you might have some width issues on the front but a tape measure and some patience would be beneficial before purchasing any said make/model
leave the patina and concentrate all efforts on interior....

there's my armpits--uh...i mean opinion;):D

whatever ya decide to do with it ....keep us posted
HRP
Yea, I'll get some good measurements tomorrow, but I'm 99% sure a dually would be way too wide. I didn't have anyone to hold the tape, but I'm thinking this truck is about 64" at it's widest fender point. A S-10 is about 58" and I measured my 65 C-10 and it's in the mid 70's.

:DMy vote would be the 80's 1ton frame with duals, and ya ditch the side panels on the hood. Maybe a stretch slant bed to haul your other projects on, with a winch. I saw one like it at Springfield, Mo. nats a couple o years back, I was impressed. Keep the pics comin'

I measured the outside fender dimensions of the 39 and it's 68.5" at the widest point (lower portion behind the front wheel) and my 92 dually, and it's 72" at it's widest point. So, the wheels will only be 1.75" further out (each side) on the 39 that what they are on the 92 body. That may work.
And if I get a 70's-80's dually, it may be a little more narrow. I'll have to find one to measure.
Whadda ya think?

Definately worth a C note; it could be a really nice truck when you're done. I'd use the frame that's on it and just update the suspension and brakes.

:DMy vote would be the 80's 1ton frame with duals, and ya ditch the side panels on the hood. Maybe a stretch slant bed to haul your other projects on, with a winch. I saw one like it at Springfield, Mo. nats a couple o years back, I was impressed. Keep the pics comin'

maybe a roll back

Latest posts

Back