Need some input.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YBeNormal

I have had about 3 guys tell me now that I have a very rare motor in my truck and that I should take the motor and sell it to finish my build. They are saying I should be able to easily get 15,000 for the motor :eek:

When I bought it the guy told me it was a small block 350 so I never looked any further into it.

Now I am being told it is a DZ 302 out of a 69 camero and it is a sought after rare motor. So this is where I need the input on value worth selling etc.

Block number is. 3932388
Head number is 333882

keep it

I am not huge on chevy history but I do know the DZ 302 were considered one of the better designed engines as far as bore and stroke go. I think in the geometry of the crank and rod if I remember correct.
This engine was used to compete with shelbys on road courses and did very well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u-ez8zZ_No

I would not use it in the rat unless you keep it as original as possible. Store it correctly and it will be worth more in the future. SBC engines are cheap so you can get a few more cubes (350) and be on a good budget. I paid $450 for a 74 350 and turbo 350 trans, 2 intakes, headers, alternator, 2 distributors.

From http://www.nastyz28.com/sbchevy/sbch.php

Block #3932388 - 1969 302 & 350
Head # 333882 - 1970-1980 350 or 400, 76cc chambers

The engine code will remove any doubt. If the block has never been decked, the code and partial VIN should be stamped on the deck "pad" passenger side...

IF it's a 302 (which I highly doubt) the code will include the letters DZ, otherwise known as the suffix, also listed on the above site. :D

David, I think the people telling you that are off on the last digit. The 69 Z motor had a number of 3932386, your 3932388 is either a 69 327 two bolt or a 69 350 two or four bolt main motor, according to Mortec.

The head number 333882 comes up as 74-80 350/400 76cc chamber heads with a 2.02/1.60 valve, so those are big valve heads.

Don

Ok so I need to see if the deck stamp is still there but more than likely it is just a regular small block nothing rare or special?

your engine

The block itself is nothing special, even on a "DZ" code 302, if it's not in the vin stamp on the front pad, then its just another sbc, if it is a DZ stamped block and all the internals are the correct date on the castings/forgings, then it IS worth a good deal of money to someone with a 1st gen Z28 Camaro, probably not $15000, but enough to build a very healthy sbc. The heads are not anything special, lightweight casting, large chamber (74-76 cc), smog heads, came with a decent sized valve (1.94 intake/1.50 exhaust) these heads are prone to cracking if overheated, but an ok head for mild performance, just check the seats for cracks and in the water jackets!! Other than that if the block is nothing special, just build it and have fun!!!

Yup, pull it from a pickup. slap on corvette valve covers and you have instant corvette engine!!

Yep, they never made as many Corvette engine's as they did Corvette valve covers. The same way they never made as many 68-69 Z/28 Camaros as exist today.

Everyone wants their engine to be the highest performance version, but the reality is that the majority are run of the mill.

Probably the same thing that makes every sbc automatically a "Corvette" engine. :D

Don

Ha that's funny. My first car I bought was a '75 4 door Nova and I was told it had a Corvette motor in it. I didn't think anything of it since it was just a Chevy and had a 2 barrel carb, but ran the numbers and it turned out to be a LT1 4 bolt main that could've came from a Corvette lol.

Latest posts

Back