Need some suspension advice.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IRON MAIDEN

So I'm new here and already did the "Introduce Yourself" thead. I'm about to bring home a 40's K series International Harvester truck. It seems to be very very solid. I will know more once I get it home but I feel pretty good that other than cleaning it up and putting a better drivetrain it it, it's a runner.
Not completely sure of the direction I'm gonna go with it, I think the condition of all the fenders and such will tell me. I do want to make it a good diving truck though. I'm gonna start saving up so when I come across a good deal on a motor and trans, I can jump on it. If it works out, I may go with an LS1 and trans out of a trans am or camaro. Good power, great gas mileage, and reliable. We shall see on that one though.
My questions for now are about the suspension. If you look at the picture I'm posting, you can see the front suspension it has on it. I've never driven anything like this and have no clue if freshened up what the ride will be like.
I have an OEM set of Corvette wheels and tires here that I took off my 97' C5. Not sure if they can be used but it would save me from having to get another set. So I guess my question would be if I can lower the stock suspension on this K series IH and is it worth it. Or should go with a different setup? It would be nice to have disc brakes as well.
Here is how she sits today.
67075a05.jpg

5b96b6fe.jpg

90cae8a4.jpg

cdbdb6cf.jpg

64990df9.jpg

4a17f417.jpg

A) congrats! nice find!!

B) if you're going to update the drivetrain with some potent hp out of a camaro, def get some better brakes. I'd look to get a donor vehicle for the engine/trans and rear axle, and if at all possible, the front clip too. I think an IFS setup is the way to go, especially if your considering adding that kind of power. Lowering the suspension on an i-beam equipped truck is easy, but it can result in some crazy bump-steer issues. With just a little more work, a clip will give you everything you'll need, imo.

I may just go with a Ford small block. I already have a C4 transmission here so it would be nice to use it as it was from my Mustang I had in High School.
I want disc brakes for sure. I want the car to just drive smooth and be comfortable. Doesn't have to handle like a sports car. The budget won't allow that. maybe next project. This one, I want to get to be dependable so I can use it to go to work and back. I just don't know much about the different suspension options I have.

I want the car to just drive smooth and be comfortable. Doesn't have to handle like a sports car. The budget won't allow that. maybe next project. This one, I want to get to be dependable so I can use it to go to work and back. I just don't know much about the different suspension options I have.

Well just something to think about here . No truck made in the 40's drove smooth or was comfortable when it was new . To make a dependable daily driver you might want to drop the cab etc that you have on a later model complete frame . Lots of these kind of builds have been done using chevy S-10 frames,drive trains etc .

Maybe I missed it, but if you are going fenderless, keep the straight axle. IFS is ugly. If you keep the fenders (which I would suggest - looks solid), look into the S-10 or similar swap.

Once I get the truck here I will decide on fenders and such. I will get the cab and bed off the frame and take a good look at it. I just don't like the S-10 idea. IFS = ugly. All of them? What about a C-5 Corvette suspension? Doesn't look too ugly to me, but then again it's hidden.
What straight axle setups drive ok?

Corvette IFS is pricey. If you don't need it to handle like a sports car, again, I'd look for a Camaro or Nova, etc clip. Fenderless is whole other aesthetic issue.

i like fenders quite a bit. they just don't make anything like them anymore. got nothing to offer as far as suspension goes, but i'd keep the fenders if it was mine. also like the spare mounted on the side like that.

S-10 works bcause there are a lot of parts available - drop spindles, springs, bigger brakes -they are cheap and they are relatively current.

Nova/ Camero are all pretty old. (It's pretty hard to make a strut type suspension fit under the fenders) You will probably need all new bushings, tie rod ends and ball joints. Add that into your cost.

The solid axle will work, but probably will need new kingpins and brakes - disc conversion? You probably won't want to use the old leaf springs. They will be the wrong spring rate unless you keep it stock and they're quite possibly cracked or broken. If I was going to use that axle I would build links and use coilovers. Coilovers seem expensive, but you can change the spring rate for under $100, which makes them cheaper to adjust than new leaf springs.

The C-5 or any vette front would be nice if you can afford it.

Don't discount an aftermarket independant - sometimes they're cheaper than buying all the parts it takes to make an old clip reliable.

The Speedway tube axle seems to be a no-brainer -lots of guys use them, they're pretty inexpensive and there are lots of possibilities for brakes and springs.

Of course, if you're really sharp, there is always torsion bars.

Latest posts

Back