Need some thoughts

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Menace

Have a chance to get a Ford 460,C6 and a Dana 60 rear with 49000 miles on it. My brother bought an F250 for the body and said I could have the drivetrain. The problem is... I still have to use this S-10 frame (no funds to do otherwise). I would consider the F250 frame but my brother is keeping the front end components. Is this a pipe dream or can I make it work ?
Thanks for any input.

A 460, C6 and Dana 60 is a sweet drive train. I think it can be done. It is a little more weight and torque than the s10 frame is used to. What about finding another front axle for the 250 frame?

The torque you can probably beef the frame up for but the weight, I don't know. As for the F250 frame, the Ford twin-I-beam front end is not very easy to lower compared to the S-10. A lot of Ford guys clip the front instead of messing with the TIB when they want to lower or improve ride. Putting that 460 on the S-10 will probably lower it enough!

460 is a decent motor, if you don't mind feeding it fuel.

Is the 460 oil pan a front sump, or rear sump ?

What is the s10 chassis going under ?

Figured it all out. I think...:D . Out with the S-10 frame. Going to use the F250 frame with a TIB from an F150. What the hell, can't be any uglier than the S-10 IFS and it's all free. Will be a little higher than the S-10 but maybe I can airbag it later on.

You could Z the frame, to get it down.

Or install a dropped tube axle on front.

Lil' John Buttera did that on a fullsize Blazer.

Again, the Ford TIB is NOT friendly to bags or lowering. Not that it can't be done, but it isn't as easy. This info is gained from old posts I've read on Ford truck websites, there are drop spindles available, otherwise the beams need to be bent to correct the steering geometry.

Not to beat a dead horse, but 1965 was the first year for TIB and most of the 65-66 guys graft a different front clip on instead of messing with the original - that should tell you something. .....it's not dead, it's just sleeping....

Try a search or ask questions here:
http://fordtruk.com/forums/
or here:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum40/

Latest posts

Back