Needing a Title.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayniac

Alright so Ive not really done much internet searching just seen a couple ad's and a few links so I figured I would ask the pro's right!!!! [ddev

Alright well Im building a 52 GMC Rat Rod on a 91 S10 frame. I have the title for the S10 but what about all the sheet metal????? Whats the best way to get a title built for this type of vehicle? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Oh yeah...if this is the wrong forum my apologies. Mod's please move it if need be.

Someone from Ky will have to advise you as every state has a different procedure. Now with that unless Ky trains their clercks more effectively than most it will depend on who you talk to at a state office. Talking to the builders locally who have done it is your best info. Good luck with it and welcome to the board. :)

Sorry about the forum :(

But yeah the clerks here I think had a hard time passing kindergarten!!!! I have seen a couple places online saying that they will help you get a title or can get you a title built or whatever they case may be but I assume that they will charge you an arm and a leg!!!

It is very hard to get a title in Kentucky, they have some very strange registration policies as well. Even if you get all that worked out the inspections are a headache as well.

Why Alabama?

And I found this!!!

http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/kar/601/023/010.htm

601 KAR 23:010. Classic motor vehicle project.

RELATES TO: KRS 186.020, 186A.115, 186A.120, 186A.170(1)(b), 186A.510, 186A.535, 190.300, 190.990(5), 49 U.S.C. 32705

STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 186A.535

NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 186A.535 authorizes the cabinet to promulgate administrative regulations governing the application process and titling of classic motor vehicle projects and restored classic motor vehicle projects. This administrative regulation establishes the procedures necessary to obtain a certificate of title for a classic motor vehicle project as defined by KRS 186A.510(2) and for a classic motor vehicle project that has been restored to roadworthy condition.

Section 1. Application for Certificate of Title of a Classic Motor Vehicle Project. (1)(a) "Salvage", "junk vehicle", and "rebuilt vehicle" as defined by KRS 186A.510 shall be considered permanent brands.

(b) The term "classic motor vehicle project" shall be considered a temporary brand in the process of obtaining title.

(2) The owner of a motor vehicle that meets the definition of "classic motor vehicle project" as defined by KRS 186A.510(2) shall apply for a certificate of title as follows:

(a) The applicant shall complete an Application for Kentucky Certificate of Title or Registration, Form TC 96-182.

(b) A certified inspector who meets the requirements of 601 KAR 9:085 shall verify the Vehicle Identification Number VIN of the motor vehicle, and complete the appropriate section of the Application for Kentucky Certificate of Title or Registration, Form TC 96-182.

(c) The applicant shall submit the completed form to the county clerk of residence accompanied by the supporting documents as required in KRS 186.020.

(d) A classic motor vehicle project shall not be processed through "speed title" as established in KRS 186A.170(1)(b).

Section 2. Application for Certificate of Title of a Restored Classic Motor Vehicle Project. (1) The owner of a classic motor vehicle project restored to roadworthy condition shall apply for a certificate of title as follows:

(a) The applicant shall submit a notarized Kentucky Certificate of Title or Registration, Form TC 96-182.

(b) A certified inspector who meets the requirements of 601 KAR 9:085 shall physically inspect the classic motor vehicle project and certify that it is roadworthy pursuant to KRS 186A.510(8).

(c) The applicant shall submit the completed form and supporting documents to the county clerk of residence.

(d) The clerk shall issue an original certificate of title without a special brand.

(e) A restored, roadworthy classic motor vehicle project may be processed through "speed title".

Section 3. Incorporation by Reference. (1) Form TC 96-182, "Application for Kentucky Certificate of Title or Registration", December 2009, is incorporated by reference.

(2) This material may be inspected, copied, or obtained, subject to applicable copyright law, at the Transportation Cabinet Building, Department of Vehicle Regulations, Division of Motor Vehicle Licensing, Second Floor, Mero Street, Frankfort, Kentucky 40622, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (36 Ky.R. 1144; 1487; eff. 2-5-2010.)

So does this sound doable? All the sheet metal should have matching vins but the frame and motor wont. Any input?

the reason for alabama is no titles till 75. the sheet metal on something older then late 80's should not have numbers on fenders, hoods, are other things just the main body. if it has a complete body then they shouldn't check the frame unless the numbers are on the frame, if that is the case then stamp the frame.

best thing to to is go to a swap meet and buy a title from sum one .. then go to the bank and take a loan out on it ,,.. a small one then when u get your title back it ur good to GO that the fastest way around thing ..

Latest posts

Back