needing some help with cab!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

70_boosted

So im working on my 42 ford, i do have a build thread, so if more info is needed can refer back to that.

The issue Im attempting to tackle is the large gaps and free space i cant get to, to help seal up the cab. I know its a "rat rod" site but to each his own preference. Plus i have a daughter that is at the stage of bugging and making sure extra unnecessary road noise is reduced for her.

Im after trying to fill in the side kick panel areas. Not the WHOLE area, just deep into the crevices that i cant get in to really seal with metal or welds etc.On top of that, seal deep into the rear cab corners or possibly just the back cab wall. I plan to run some style wood planking to seal off all the metal work plus give it a custom touch, just wanna seal the deep areas where i cant reach into.

I am looking into expanding foam, tho i cant find the right kind that's "automotive acceptable". Not going to use home improvement type, but i ordered some that's high density, that can handle being coated and shaped and is quite durable once fully cured for the bottom of the cab rather than buying tons of more sheet metal.

i have a few pics of the areas im trying to fill but i think most of you know exactly where. thanks if you guys can help come up with anything.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 43
With that foam in there you are essentially putting large sponges right against your sheet metal. Regardless of reccomended application it will hold water and rust out in no time. If you want to close it off just use sheet metal. It might take a little more time and effort but with cargo such as your daughter wouldn't it be worth it?

With that foam in there you are essentially putting large sponges right against your sheet metal. Regardless of reccomended application it will hold water and rust out in no time. If you want to close it off just use sheet metal. It might take a little more time and effort but with cargo such as your daughter wouldn't it be worth it?

rust is not a bad thing in the rat rod world its preferred most of the time!LOL

What about putting a plastic bag in there, then filling that up with foam?

I think it will still have moisture issues, but maybe not as bad.

Latest posts

Back