new 1954 chevy

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerchooper

hello all,

i got a new project to work on, 1954 chevy 2 door. if i do get on this it will be later in the year because i have to finish up my 41 chevy truck first.

but i would like to get some parts before i get to the point of me starting on it. swap meet season is coming apon us and it will be the best time to find stuff if i can.

i looked here and searched the world wide web with no luck. but i need help and pictures of stuff i need to finish the radiator support and grill area between the fenders. the reason i need pictures of items is to be able to see what im looking for when walking around the swap meet.

heres some pictures of what i got to work with.

P3050019.jpg

P3050017.jpg

P3050022.jpg

thanks

well I haven't forgot this project, life always has a curve ball in the game.

well so far I have collected a tunnel ram, 2-600 holleys, 454 bbc, 4 speed tranny, 4:56 mini spool 10 bolt nova rear end, coated fenderwell headers, 4 core aluminum radiator that ill fit to the rad support.

almost have the motor rebuilt with a hydro lifter comp cam in the L-88 range, new crank and 10.1 small dome pistons. I was able to locate a set of new used heads with a rebuild including new everything, valve job larger 2.19I AND 1.88E valves and guides for a couple bucks that im going to get.

pretty close to start this trip soon.

What I would get is a Chevrolet assembly manual, very helpful in seeing all the pieces that go to completing the front end sheet metal.

Looks like a cool start to a gasser!

rich, I got one of them as well.

I started this thread over a year ago, so my knowledge of the car has changed.

well I got those heads, 69-70 063 casting numbers. should make it purr.

I know I know, wheres the pics.

well things have changed again. ALL of the body mounts were gone on the one pictured above. this Wednesday I found another one 3.5 hrs away and went and got it. the body is so much farther ahead I bought it. but of mud in it but it looks good flat black and I just want to fire up the big block and run threw the gears. today me and a couple buddies tore the front sheet metal off, pulled the 305/350 tranny out, literally broke off one of the frame motor mounts with a pair of channel locks and cut off the other one, it was scary lol. pushed in the car, saws all the dual exhaust off. placed the Walton fab motor mounts in the frame and pushed the big block over to the engine hoist for test fit. slapped on the 4 speed with a couple bolts and in it went.

I wanted to run solid motor mounts, but the Walton fab mounts will not except the solid motor mounts. would have to hog the bolt holes a bit. the stock tranny cross member is the right height but need to weld a tranny mount plate to it to extend forward to catch the tranny, which is right on the wallet.

the motor is sitting a little high but so far the tri-5 fender well headers are working just right at the steering column. we will see tomorrow when I lower the motor to its home position. ill have to upload the phone pics to the laptop to post some for ya.

thank you.

sunday I tacked the frame motor mounts in after switched the solid to rubber block mounts to get it nestled in there. yanked the motor back out, pulled the tranny and welded the frame mounts. installed all the clutch components, cleaned the bell housing and tranny and squirted them black. after waiting a couple minutes put the tranny on the bench and set up the shifter before it went in. then reversed the process, the motor and tranny is in for good now. intake bolted down.

next week plans are to grab the master cylinder off of the other car and adapt a new master to the old clutch and brake linkage and get the z bar for the clutch working. measure for a drive shaft and start working on the little things such as figuring out the wiring and so on.

I would like to have this moving on its own power in a couple weeks.

Latest posts

Back