New build thread; time to build one from scratch!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

falconvan

Here's an idea I've been tossing around for several years: build a scratch built rear engined topless two seater using the front drive drivetrain from a higher performance production front drive sedan like a Northstar Caddy, 4.6 DOHC Lincoln Continental, 3.8 supercharged Bonneville SSEI, or a Taurus SHO. The whole drivetrain will be mounted in the rear, front suspension will most likely be a boneyard Jag XJ-6, chassis will be a home built tube chassis with a homebuilt body as well. I've kept my eye open for an inexpensive donor car for the last year or so and found a great deal on this decent running 93 Taurus SHO with a rebuilt trans, trashed interior, and crunched in the rear for $275 so I pulled the trigger. The guy bought it to fix up and it sat for two years. He sold his house so he let it go cheap just to get it out of the way.

I have no idea if I can really pull this off but what the heck; Im giving it a shot. Lots of research to do before I start actually building but I figured picking up the first piece was a good start.

Attachments

• sho.jpg
    sho.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 44
  • sho 3.2.jpg
    sho 3.2.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 47
Yea I like different! Sounds like this is going to be a cool build!

just throwing it out there, I believe a ford aerostar bell housing will bolt up to that motor and allow you to go RWD if thats an option...

Thanks! What I'm hoping to do is just mount the whole drivetrain assembly with the axles and struts in the rear. Maybe even hang a small turbo on it. I saw a dune buggy a guy built like that with a supercharged 3.8 drivetrain a few years ago and thought a street version of something like that would be killer.

Step one will be to strip it down to the skeleton and sell of all the uneeded stuff. Should be a few $$ in salvageable parts on here; the front clip and doors are pretty nice and all the glass is good.

Im thinking like a basic 3x2 square tube chassis, use smaller tubing to form the shape of the body, and then form the sheetmetal skin over that. It has to be something fairly basic and rounded looking as my sheetmetal skills are in their infancy. Maybe something vaguely like the So-Cal Streamliner but with open wheels and a two seat cabin.

Attachments

• SoCalstreamliner_700.jpg
    SoCalstreamliner_700.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 22
I got the SHO moved into the garage and an ad put on CL to start selling off body parts, glass, etc. I want to get it down to just a shell with the drivetrain and wiring.

Attachments

• taurus sho.jpg
    taurus sho.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 10
  • taurussho.jpg
    taurussho.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 9
I would keep the drivetrain (obviously) and also keep all the wiring, PCM, steering column (not sure what ford uses for anti theft stuff) the fuel sender/pump unit, look for the roll over switch, the dash cluster for now and the GEM module. You can always sort through the stuff after but if you let it go too soon then you will have to replace whatever you need. Sounds like a fun project! [P

That's the plan and I think Im going to order the Ford electrical repair manual for the Taurus so I can have all the diagrams. Sold the front clip and a door today so it looks like the body parts are in demand.

What Im thinking is to cut off the top, cut the car in half behind the front seats and put some big casters under it so I can roll the front half around. That way I can rig up the fuel tank and still have everything operating while i plan the chassis. If I'm thinking right, the dimensions on the back of the new chassis will be a mirror image of the front. It should help me figure out how the engine cradle is going to mount and how the front suspesion is going to become the rear. It'll also give me a chance to work my way through the wiring and eliminate all the unnessasary stuff. This thing was fully optioned out so a lot of that will be going away. BTW; what is the GEM Module?

Attachments

• IMG_3906.JPG
    IMG_3906.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 12
Since my mid-engine project is on hold, I guess I'll live through yours. :D

The rear suspension shouldn't be too tough. The camber might need to be adjusted a little, but I would bet the spring rate shouldn't be too bad. I figured the tie rod can be cut and mounted to spots on the frame - that will even get you adjustable rear toe.

I've thought a VW front axle might work well. It was made for a rear engine car....

No need to cut the tie rod. Just unscrew the inner from the rack then just make it screw to the chassis. Then you still get your toe adjustment. Rear of C5 vettes are that way. The RR spindle is the same part number as the LF and vice versa

No need to cut the tie rod. Just unscrew the inner from the rack then just make it screw to the chassis. Then you still get your toe adjustment. Rear of C5 vettes are that way. The RR spindle is the same part number as the LF and vice versa

Cool, that's good to know

I can probably get you some wiring diagrams in pdf format, what year is that?
shoot me your email address and I'll send what I can get. Did you want just the engine harness stuff or the whole car?

GEM = Generic Electronic Module (Or something close) it basically takes the place of a bunch of relays. It runs all kinds of things and they crap out all the time. Ford loves to use them instead of individual relays.

I can probably get you some wiring diagrams in pdf format, what year is that?
shoot me your email address and I'll send what I can get. Did you want just the engine harness stuff or the whole car?

That would be killer, thanks. It's a 94 and I'd like to get the whole car. I'll PM you my email.

Latest posts

Back