New build thread; time to build one from scratch!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GEM = Generic Electronic Module (Or something close) it basically takes the place of a bunch of relays. It runs all kinds of things and they crap out all the time. Ford loves to use them instead of individual relays.

Nope. Nothin' close, bang on the money. Generic Electronic Modules can be used in a similar fashion to relays to control different electronic accessories or components... Hence "generic.";)

Full wiring diagrams would most certainly be an asset. If you have some time to kill, drop by your local Ford dealership service department and ask about the manuals... Most all places have switched over to CD/ROM and if they still have the paper manuals kicking around, you might pick it up cheap or even free!:D

Looking forward to progress. I'm thinking this is a great idea, around here the ready supply of cheap RWD donor cars has all but dried up. FWD is all that's left, so let's see some creative use of 'em!!![;)[P:cool:

Regards,
Shea:)

Dirty rat fixed me up on the wiring diagrams. I agree, now that these fwd cars are cheap and plentiful, it just opens new doors for us car guys.

I'm going to call this thing the SHO-ROD (Lame, I know). I started figuring up what my measurements might look like so I compared the specs of four cars; the Taurus, an 85 Jag XJ6 (probable front suspension donor), and two rear engined two seaters; an 86 Fiero GT and a 2000 Porshe Boxster. I was suprised by how similar a lot of these measurements are. This should give me some kind of decent starting point to work with.

SHO-ROD
Car Length TBD
Wheelbase 95"
Front Track Width 59.1"
Rear Track Width 61.6"
Body Height TBD
Body Width 69"
Front Leg Room 43"
Ground clearance 5"

Hi. You're opening up a lot of opportunities for drivetrains. Very Good. My only missgivings are; you're hiding the motor and hotrods show their motors and; that might be a DOHC with a cool looking intake that you're hiding in the back.[double whammy]. My $.02. Good luck with this and keep on tinkering.

Don't worry, I'm planning on a clean, we'll dressed engine compartment to show off. Only difference is that the hood will be at the other end.

Got a little done tonight; doors and decklid off, all the plastic and rubber panels out of the interior and B pillars cut out. Top should be coming off shortly.

Attachments

• IMG_3915.JPG
    IMG_3915.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3916.JPG
    IMG_3916.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 14
Got a little done tonight; doors and decklid off, all the plastic and rubber panels out of the interior and B pillars cut out. Top should be coming off shortly.

You are a better man than me. I would have wacked the roof off first, drove around town with my buddies and then try to jump it somewhere ultimately ruining it for any future project worthiness! Lol![cl

Looks like you are moving right along with it. [P

Haha I'm with jfg. There is a railroad crossing that was by my old shop... That woukd allow a cts-v to become airborn after about 80mph. Particularly successful at night when racing a buddy and seeing it a touch to late..:eek: :(

You are a better man than me. I would have wacked the roof off first, drove around town with my buddies and then try to jump it somewhere ultimately ruining it for any future project worthiness! Lol![cl

Looks like you are moving right along with it. [P

Wish I had thought of that![cl

Got the Taurus cut in half; just need to cut up the back half and get it out of the way. I was goin to put some casters on the front half but it's front heavy so there's no need to. it's pretty easy to balance and roll around.

Attachments

• IMG_3917.JPG
    IMG_3917.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3918.JPG
    IMG_3918.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3919.JPG
    IMG_3919.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3920.JPG
    IMG_3920.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 22
All the scrap was hauled off today and did a little clean up in the shop. Now i've got some room to work; this will make a good starting point.

Attachments

• IMG_3921.JPG
    IMG_3921.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3922.JPG
    IMG_3922.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 30

Latest posts

Back