New Digs

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

440shorty

As you all might know, my shop-mate Pete died this past June. So I have been forced to move my stuff to a new shop. With help from my "blood brother" Tom, who manages the property, I am renting a "new" shop to call my own, by myself. Its big enough to park 4 normal sized cars with some room left over, the price is right, and the electricity is included, for now. Here's a couple of pics, with some of my stuff already in it. It looks like I could put a lift in there.

440shorty

Attachments

• Outside1.jpg
    Outside1.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 83
  • Both1.jpg
    Both1.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 104
As you all might know, my shop-mate Pete died this past June. So I have been forced to move my stuff to a new shop. With help from my "blood brother" Tom, who manages the property, I am renting a "new" shop to call my own, by myself. Its big enough to park 4 normal sized cars with some room left over, the price is right, and the electricity is included, for now. Here's a couple of pics, with some of my stuff already in it. It looks like I could put a lift in there.

440shorty

440,Why did you have to move?Did they sell your old shop?

440,Why did you have to move?Did they sell your old shop?

We were renting the old shop together; I rented a quarter of it. Pete and his wife had actually moved into the shop (with permission from the landlord, of course) a couple of months before his death, and so were also living there. Pete's widow at first wanted to carry on in his stead, but reality set in quickly, so she decided to sell out and move out, too.

It is for the better, I think, anyway - I'll be able to work on my own stuff and not have anyone else's stuff in my way. Plus, the new shop is close to Tom, with whom I hadn't had much opportunity to spend time before.

All we can count on is change. In the last year, I've changed careers, moved the family to a new home, and now moving the shop, too. Only the cars have stayed the same - junk!

440shorty

I hear ya.I did the same this year.Changed jobs due to this crappy economy.I Still have my home.I thank god for that.All we can do is keep our heads up and hope for the best.

Good luck to you and your new ventures.

plans

Thanks everyone. I'm contemplating getting a lift, if I can swing it. Looks like there should be room all the way around for it.

440shorty

P.S. Notice my truck has wheels?

nice and roomy. get yourself some pallet racks before you move in too much stuff man you will love how much space they open up when u can pile stuff up out of the way. i just put some in my shop and i love how much room i have now, check ur local craigslist for cheap used ones.

Getting ready for work

Shop update! Moving stuff is over, except for the tools and stuff I have at home. Here's a before pic, with the blue 455 Olds in the foreground. Hey Bandit - I took your advice and kept the pallet rack I had at Pete's shop. Here's some after pics, with the first level of the rack loaded with engines and transmissons. I need to get some 2X10 lumber and cut planks for the second and third levels so I can really get the shop cleaned up!

All I really need now are fire extinguishers, water in a barrel, an eyewash station, and some more tools, and I'll be ready to get started!

Some of the interesting stuff in the pics - the two engines under the rack: '72 Riviera 455, complete with Turbo 400, and a 403 Olds. On the rack - a nailhead ST 400 transmission, parts of a 55-56 Olds Jetaway transmission, BOP Turbo 400, BOP Turbo 350, and an Olds 215 aluminum V8 short block. Everything but Chevy stuff :p

440shorty

Attachments

• Dec31Before.jpg
    Dec31Before.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Dec31After.jpg
    Dec31After.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 8
  • Buick455 Olds403b.jpg
    Buick455 Olds403b.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 6
  • pallet2.jpg