New from SacTown USA.....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IRON MAIDEN

A member at another site tipped me off about this site. I was getting flamed at the other site for wanting to Rat out my IH so I'm moving over here. I'm gonna get my two sons, ages 12 and 9, to be part of the project. Most likely some type of Rat Rod as I don't have the funds after a divorce to go all out. I used to own a 65' Mustang Fastback. A Shelby clone. Sold it and have wanted something ever since. Just recently, right after my split with the Ex ; ) , a 97' C5 Corvette fell into my lap with only 27K miles on it. So I have my sports car ; )
Yet I still wish I had an old muscle car or hot rod. My friend has been building this rat rod and it got me thinking about doing a project like this with my kids to teach them how to turn a wrench.
a1e112d1.jpg

My Ex-Father in law has an old truck in his back yard. I've known the truck to be sitting in his yard for 30 years now and just recently the light bulb lit in my head.
A phone call later and me letting him know it's a great way for me to teach his grand kids to work on their own cars...... he is giving me this truck ; ) From what I can find picture wise, it's a 41' - 46' International Harvester K series Pick-Up. It seems to be in pretty good condition considering it has been parked since 1966'!!!! Before I was born I'm gonna have to cut a tree down just to get it out of the corner of his yard. Can't wait to power wash it down, to get the spiders and rats out of it ; ) , and see what we have. This will be my first build like this so I'm gonna have plenty of questions. 1st is if the frame is in good shape, do most people use it? Or is it nessacerry to use a donor frame or custom?
Here is how she sits today.
67075a05.jpg

5b96b6fe.jpg

90cae8a4.jpg

cdbdb6cf.jpg

64990df9.jpg

4a17f417.jpg

Welcome, thats anice looking truck very solid ,should be great for a build.

Welcome to RRR! If that's as solid as it looks, I'd have a hard time cuttin it up. Well, maybe a few inches outta the top. :D

Excellent project it look salmost finished, I got divorced and have been working on a 72 MG too stay outta trouble, not sure how ratrod but a little hotrod any way, I include my 10 an d13 year old girl as much as they want an dit has been great. They have even drug friends to th eshop to see the progress!

Brought my first piece of the truck home today...

Was over cleaning up the area it's stuck in and trying to figure out how to get it out. I started to empty out the bed to lighten up the truck some and see what the floor of the bed was like. Solid. The passenger side rear fender has a nice dent in it. The roof is worse than I thought too. But it's makes me not feel so bad about chopping away at it. I was shocked at how small the exhaust pipe is. Looks like 1.5" pipe. It sure looks worse under the truck than it does out in the open or inside the cab. Have yet to find a rust whole yet though. Here is what I bought home. It was among a bunch of junk in the bed of the truck. Nice and solid.
b272a17c.jpg

899d8b82.jpg

df1a4931.jpg

welcome to the RRR! i say put a late model suspension under it,maybe a modern motor/trans & leave the body alone and then drive it:D[P

Latest posts

Back