New guy, building a 30 sedan

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsstreetauto

Hello all, been lurking for a bit, have finally found the "one." A very rust free, solid 30-31 A sedan. I plan on TALL tires, and ground scraping clearance. I understand getting both is WORK. I am looking at the Speedway front end, with a 6 inch drop. I don't have wheels and tires yet, but I think that is first. Plans include hot rod ford stuff, whatever lands in my lap during the build. I am basically starting with a body, working from there. My biggest plan is tall tires, high horsepower. Whatever it takes to make that a go is my next plan.

Thanks in advance for all of your advice. Looking for some basic plans on a 2x4 or 2x3 chassis, big Z's included.

Steve

I've been looking at everyone's frames, getting a plan for my build. Can anyone with a rear tire of 30 inches or more give me some pics of thier frames?

Welcome to RRR. Both of my cars have rear tires that are taller than 30", but neither of them are ground scraping. One of them is moderately low.

Thanks in advance for all of your advice. Looking for some basic plans on a 2x4 or 2x3 chassis, big Z's included.

I'm betting the 2x3 will be a little flimsy - especially with high horsepower. Check some of the build threads for some great ideas on frame ideas.

Welcome aboard.

Welcome to RRR, adamstreetauto. Sounds like you have a plan as to what you want to do. Plenty of advice to be had here.

Amazing that no one has asked for pics of your body ( car, that is :D ). That's the usual MO for this crowd. And since you did mention the car,,,,,

worthlesswopicshr3.gif

I will get pics posted soon, I need to get the body to my "other" shop, no room for toys at work. I have a place lined out to do the build, now I just need the time, and for all of the parts I want to appear for cheap!

TALL tires

Adam, welcome to RRR, and the friendly attitude free zone, my C-Dan will have 29.69" tall rears, 3:36 gear, and a 5-speed, if I may-just a lil old timer advice, when choosing your rear end gear ratio, consider the overall diameter of what ever tire you choose to run, it will have an effect on the final drive ratio. Example there are some Ford 9z and other brand rears out there with a 3:00 or taller ratio, {lower numerically}, and if you run say a 32" tall rear sneaker, you'll end up with a ride you never get out of 2nd gear. And if your a real annoying cat like me, with 20 plus years on the dyno, you will also take this into account when building your high horsepower engine and choosing components such as your cam/intake/carb/etc. . Oh yea, like they all said-------pictures?

Last edited:
The A is downtown at a shop I use for storage, I haven't been down there in a while. Getting all of my stuff rounded up so I can spend some time in the shop and get something done. Right now I just have a body, unmodified, and in very good condition.

My name is Steve, the shop I own is Adams Street Automotive, hence my user name. My shop is located on Adams Street! Even the locals here call looking for Adam, I know who they mean...

Latest posts

Back