New guy from ks

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freddy8

Hey guys, I'm from Kansas and I've never built a rat rod but recently I've got in a little trouble with the law and thought about building one to kill some time and maybe keep from gettin in anymore lol. I have worked on cars before but never a project this big. I don't have a car but have been looking around and would like to know if you guys have a preference for a first time build. I'm gonna shoot to keep it under the 3 grand mark. Thanks in advance

buy a runner this way you dont have to do it all from scratch and loose interest before you get to ride in it ,, JMO. If its a runner , you can drive it while you do things to it .. Oh and welcome to RRR from lower Alabama

Welcome to RRR.

I'm thinkin' Kansas is much like my part of the world... if that's true, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting an old farm truck... cheap and plentiful. [ddd

I like the thought process behind buyin a runner but they took my license for a while so that's not much of an issue

A running CList car or truck doner for engine, trans, rear axle and then a 40's cab and front axle from a farmer who doesn't know what they are selling for now. :rolleyes: Make a rectangular tubing frame. Should be able to get this far for 2K easy. Treasure hunting for parts is a big part of the fun.
Welcome to the board and enjoy the hobby.

Here is a link for an example
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/4640362925.html

Last edited:
welcome to rrr, from bama. get a runner either to build or for the drive train like a pickup truck. that way you are a step ahead. like the doctor said, you should have old farm trucks everywhere. one of them ol trucks and a more modern running gear make a great setup. check out the build section and see what folks are doing.

welcome form OKLA. your have heard it already......runner or close keeps the interest up. A major ground up will come later, so start as easy as you can I say due to funds and the end will come sooner. Then be prepared.......the bug bites and you can never get it out of your system. LOL.

I got an 86 merc grand marquis that was my dd it runs and drives it's got the 5.0 but it's got a throttle body and aod tranny what about something like that as the donor car cuz I planned on buying something newer for my dd anyways

I got an 86 merc grand marquis that was my dd it runs and drives it's got the 5.0 but it's got a throttle body and aod tranny what about something like that as the donor car cuz I planned on buying something newer for my dd anyways

Excellent! You're already on your way :cool: Using what we already have makes for some interesting rustrods.

The shocks and struts have seen too many railroad tracks but brakes are still good but I may just pull the engine and tranny and sell the rest as a demo body to buy other parts unless you guys think that stuffs worth more than 300. Also there's one guy in town who runs a junkyard/ machine shop and they are big wigs in the derby business so I may be able to do a little tradin there too.

That is a popular rear axle and the driveshaft would only need to be shortened.
So keep that for sure. Master cylinder and brake lines. Everything matches back up when it all comes from one doner. :) Actually if you had room to store the body until the build was complete you would find youself going back to it for brackets, frame sections, switches, wires, even sheet metal.

I'll def keep that thought in mind. I'd probably have to keep it out at work cuz I live in town and don't got a lot of space to leave somethin that big laying around. Plus those seats are comfy as hell lol

I vote to keep the Grand Marquis, like all the guys said. You don't know how much you'll rob off of the donor car. The only thing slightly off kilter with a 5.0 and AOD is the intake looks a little dorky, but the rest of the assembly is perfect, and it's yours, so use it. You might also use the pedals, gauges, steering column and wheel, switches, fuse box, interior light, wheels and tires, seats, power brake set-up, and seat belts. You didn't realize it yet but you're off to a real good start. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back