new guy from NJ

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1931s/x

hello my name is james and im.... oh sorry wrong place. i have been into muscle cars and drag racing since i was about 8 years old. always went to carshows with my dad and couldnt get enough of the mild and full customs throwing flames. couldnt ever stand a t-bucket or and kind of coupe. wire wheels? wood wheels? forget it.... when i was able to scrape up the cash i bought my first old car a 69 dart all original with a slant under the hood. i upgraded everything big block, dana... everything but the body is done and i kind of wanted something a little different... here i am today still have the dart, no plans on selling and i own a 1931 essex rumbleseat coupe mostly original, a repaint and new interior in the 70s and got parked till i picked it up. i bought it not running i was looking for something that was halfway decnt looking which i wouldnt have to do body work to, maybe upgrade the suspension and drivetrain and have a blast with it. well i got it all running and drove it all summer in stock configuration. now im having a hard time thinking about pulling it apart. all i had in mind was a nailhead and a stick. now i dont want to chop it up so i have narrowed my choices down to a rover v-8 with 2x2s, t5 tranny and an 8 3/4 rear. im not looking to cut up my firewall. if i do it will really have to be worth it. i might do it fora hudson twin H 308 or maybe an early hemi. who knows... i do havea few big block mopars that every now and then i start looking at them and thinking, why not...

welcome aboard James , like to see some pics of your Essex , maybe a nice 390 AMC engine would work , eventually Hudson became part of AMC , that would be different.....`24

Theres a guy around the corner from me with an original Essex. He put a Datsun pick up motor in it with a 5 speed. Hes running the mechanical brakes and wooden spokes. He says it cruises at 65-70 no problem. OK so its not an original Essex.:rolleyes:

ive had it up to about 60 mph but it just revs too high on the highway with the 5.40 gears. motor is burning a bit of oil and it will cost too much to wind up with the wopping 60 hp. i hate the mechanical brakes and id like some steel wheels with a set of firestones. well see, maybe ill just sell it and buy something less complete. its tuff to tear up such a complete, nice, driveable car.

Latest posts

Back