New guy from St.Louis area

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

towb3

Hey there. I have been searching for a while for an informative rat site for a while. Seems like there are a bit more how to's and answered questions so I left the previous unnamed site. A bit about me...... I have tinkered with vehicles for a while but nothing major. I recently started hanging out with a former boss in attempt to learn more. We are in the process of a frame off resto of a 56 Nomad, and I just picked up my first real project.

This Saturday I officially take possession of a '38 chevy pickup cab that is resting on a '28 model A frame. No floor, firewall, or trans. It is coming with a good 283 sbc though. I know, its not the ideal choice of many, but it will have to do for now. This is my first time messing with solid axle front suspension, so I am sure there will be plenty of questions about steering and suspension geometry.

Here are some pics
This picture immediately sold me on the truck
3pc3o13lf5O55Tb5Rd9c8746270ca20f71b.jpg

3kb3o23p85Q35P95R79c8f21b0a5c767a18.jpg

3m23o73l35Q15U75R39c839831ca5dc6b12.jpg

Thanks for any help you guys give in the near future.

Welcome to RRR from NC.

We all started at some point in time and speaking for myself I knew very little about building anything from the ground up.

There as lots of folks on here to help you with any problems you may have. I know, they have helped me alot.

The straight axle isnt that bad once you understand how it all works together and the set-up.

You have a great start already with what you just bought. Keep the pictures coming and do ask questions. Great bunch of folks here willing to help you.

God luck on your build.

Larry

welcome to the RRR! truly a good family friendly site with lots of great people (and a few cool rides around here as well:D )

looks like a good project to start with.....keep us posted

Thanks Larry and Preacher. I have some sprint car guys with pretty good knowledge but it is finding time to get the help that is the issue. Good forums are priceless.

It seems like a lot of people scorn small block users in trad or rats rods. It's cheap, effective, easy to find parts. I'm piecing together an LSx engine but just don't know how I could make it fit in. Maybe make some Corvette fuel rail covers out of metal and let it sit out and get nice and weathered. Just a thought I had for it.

For some reason I thought I had posted up the most recent pics that I had. I don't know where I posted them. lol. Here they come.
100_0892.jpg

For the time being this will be getting freshened up.
100_0893.jpg

Wishful thinking
100_0916.jpg

100_0914.jpg

100_0913.jpg

Since the pictures were taken, the whole truck has been turned around in the garage. The spring cross member in the rear has been removed and a notch/bridge kit is being put over the rear for air ride.

The front cross member has been flipped over and I believe we are going to building a support for the spring on it. Doing so, I believe we are going to need to notch the under side of the frame for beam clearance during travel. Pretty much all other misc mounts etc have been removed. We are starting on the rear set up asap and then on to the front setup. Still a bit iffy on what to do with the front as of yet. Opinions are greatly appreciated. Especially with the front setup. haha.

Oh yeah, final question. Do you typically get the bones pressed out at a machine shop or is there some way to get them apart that I haven't ran into yet? I am half tempted to buy a complete front setup to familiarize myself with the setup. I think it is a bit more difficult when you are digging through bags of previous owners purchases. My buddy thinks I just like throwing money at things instead of figuring it out. haha.

Ah..... I had a build thread. THat is why I thought I had posted up pictures somewhere. haha

Latest posts

Back