New guy in Juneau Alaska

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pro-touringAK

Hi my name is Brian. I'm in the process of deciding which of two to build. #1 1949 ford F1 fender-less, with hood, some sort of grill, z'ed frame, old school 226 inline 6 with four speed manual. Not much body work needed and comes with bed. #2 1959 chevy apache. Lots of rust on body, fleetside, comes with 350 from a 76 truck and TH350 auto. I'm thinking of #1 since there isn't much body work and I don't know how to weld. Any thoughts?

Brian

hi.........................................................................

ya, do the 49.

pics are a must when ya do a build thread and OH, we like lots pics.

Later :cool:

Welcome to RRR! Do all of them!!! :D

If you're in Juneau, I'm guessing parts are kinda limited. As for not welding, buy or borrow a welder and go for it.

Glad to have you aboard

Welcome to the best site for gearheads Brian. Both of your rigs will be great so build them both. If there is not enough space start with which ever one draws you in. The one you have a vision of. Finish it and start on the other. One can never have enough rides. Steve

49 truck

picked up the 49 ford f1. I've never done a full on project so it will be a learning process. It came with a 226 inline 6, three speed, cab, bed and frame with leaf suspension. Got it all for free. Trying to figure out my first step. I believe it is to remove the cab from the frame and to start cleaning up the frame, suspension and how much to lower the cab section of the frame. Does this sound right? Any info would be great. thanks.
Brian

first welcome to rrr. second is is this truck drivable if so tune it up check brakes and steering and run it, throw up some pics, and congrats on the find:D

Are you keeping the front suspension stock or are you gonna relocate it forward? Stock rear suspension? That will change the frame height of the frame.

I was planning out the build (typically overplan stuff) and was wondering about the Z in front. I plan on keeping the flathead 6 with 3 speed. The clutch when depressed actuates a rotating shaft that locks into place with the tranny. For simplicity sakes, I was thinking about doing the cut just behind the clutch assembly so that when the engine and tranny are sitting higher that there will be less modification. Does this sound like a good plan? I suppose the steering box can be pushed toward the front to allow for the steering column to be mounted further forward due to the shaft lenght. Truck is not drivable and will have to have the engine gone over as well as the tranny and clutch. Any suggestions would be awesome.

thanks,
Brian

Oh also plan on running the stock leaf springs for front and back to keep cost down. Will also push the front forward by 6-10 inches to give it a stretched out look.

Latest posts

Back