New Guy Needing Advice...Pics

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truckie561

Been lurkin' for a little while,figured I'd introduce myself and t'row a few pics your way in hopes of getting some opinions and/or advice. My name is Matt and I live in the Southwest Florida, about 2 hours South of Tampa. I got a wife and 3 amazing kids, ages 8 and under and I've been a firefighter for the last 16 years.
As far as vintage vehicles go, I've owned and sold 2 cj7's, 1 cj8, a 1956 Chevy longbed pick-up, and a 1964 split window VW Bus. I don't have too much experience in turnin' wrenches and I've had a lot of help from experienced friends along the way with my project vehicles. That being said, I keep coming back to classic vehicles for some reason and I'm eager to become more proficient in taking these vehicles apart and putting them back to together....might even try my hand at welding. I've recently been leaning towards a getting my hands dirty on a mild Rat Rod build...on a budget.
Let me show you what I'm looking at and you let me know if you think she'd be a decent candidate for a ratting out or if I'd be getting over my head.
She's a titled 1958 Apache that I can purchase for no less than $2000. She has typical rust issues....corners need redone, front fenders could be patched, cab floors & steps are shot and need replacing, roof, inner fenders and firewall all look pretty solid. She has has a v8 and auto tranny, which hasn't run in 2 years and will be removed by seller. Cause she ain't running it's hard to assess much else. Any questions, just shoot'em at me. Sorry if there are too many pics. I have a few other pics that I can post. Let me know.
3ne3Ec3H65Ie5H25J5cae9c63477a307f1b9c.jpg

3K23M13Nb5Ic5H45Jdcae357e7b1e585d1aef.jpg

DSCN2721.jpg

DSCN2733.jpg

DSCN2723.jpg

DSCN2724.jpg

I'm sure I'll get flack for saying this but I think you could do better for 2 grand. Even though it is titled you have a hell of a lot to do to make it even come close to drivable, let alone safe while doing it. The previous owner will remove the engine? so now you'll be faced with even more on your plate; finding a rebuildable engine or purchasing a good one and a tranny. So I would let this one pass myself and look elsewhere. BTW Here in Alberta I have picked up good candidates for around $500 for my '53 R130 and $300 for my '53 R160

Welcome from OKLA.
I think I would kep looking for something else. There is a lot of work to be done and you did say "on a limited budget." Here in OKLA, I have found much cleaner, less rusted out chevys[many older that that one] for $400-500.

Welcome to RRR!

Not a bad looking start, but around here, that would be $1000 truck at best. Especially if the grille and drivetrain are missing. I realize Iowa ain't Florida and usable tin isn't that easy to find the farther down the state you get, so don't get down about what guys from other states say about price. Pay attention to what the Florida guys say.

That said, I think that would be a great project to build your wrenching and welding skills on.

Welcome to RRR!

Not a bad looking start, but around here, that would be $1000 truck at best. Especially if the grille and drivetrain are missing. I realize Iowa ain't Florida and usable tin isn't that easy to find the farther down the state you get, so don't get down about what guys from other states say about price. Pay attention to what the Florida guys say.

That said, I think that would be a great project to build your wrenching and welding skills on.

Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback. I'll try to negotiate with the guy and see how firm he is on the price.
Sam hit the nail on the head...these trucks are few and far between down here and I'm slightly chomping at the bit here because its local. You're responses have grounded me slightly, and I won't rush into this one. Until yesterday, I would seriously have considered giving the owner the $2000 for it. I do have the option to keep the 350 motor and 350 tranny for an additional $500, but they haven't been run in 2 years. Anyway, thanks again for the advice. I'll keep you posted.

Hey man. Be patient. I am from central FL and I got my start from Pinellis county. Right near you. The pics are in my build thread. But I got a solid 45 gmc with a good 350/350/9" combo just needed glass and a front end when I got it and I paid 2500. Of course I want it my way so it's in alot of pieces lol

But it took me a couple months to find I would get on Craigslist and search in a 3 hour radius every morning along with the dreaded ebay and eventually a good deal comes along.

I still search all the time for parts so my searchs are rat rod, hot rod, and project truck.

I have seen alot better deals online recently. In fact saw a 54 ford all suspension brakes and steering done body work done and chopped 4 inches needed glass, paint, motor and trans and the guy sold it for 1000

A better deal will come along :D

BTW. Welcome to the site.

In fact saw a 54 ford all suspension brakes and steering done body work done and chopped 4 inches needed glass, paint, motor and trans and the guy sold it for 1000

Yeah.... needed glass for a curved windshield AFTER the chop. That's why he was selling it - bet! Getting that glass made ain't gonna be cheap.

Latest posts

Back