New Guy With Rookie Wheel Questions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green Hornet

I've got a set of 1935 Ford wire wheels that need paint. The wheels have the trim ring, which I want to reuse. My questions are.......1.) Do you have a tip or technique to take the trim ring off without damaging it and then replacing the trim ring again without damaging the trim ring? 2.) Also do you pry it off from the inside of the trim ring or the outside of the trim ring? Thanks.

I would just use a couple of screwdrivers and gently go around the outside edge all the way around until it pops off. You will progressively take it further and further off. They have teeth that bite in and once you get them started they release pretty easily.

Putting them back on you have to do it like any full sized hubcab, just put it in place with one part deeper into the rim, then start with a rubber mallet until it seats fully.

Don

I'll just add a little to what Don said. If you are using a screwdriver or screwdrivers to pry the trim ring/hub cap, you can wrap the screwdriver/s with tape in order to minimize wheel damage. Most likely, the grip tangs on the ring will mark the wheel a bit. There is nothing that you can do about it.

Thanks. I "sort of" remember reading somewhere that someone was looking for replacement clips that hold the trim ring on. I don't know if he broke them taking off the trim ring or what. I was wondering if there was a certain way to remove the ring without busting the clips or damaging the ring. Thanks again for the help.

Latest posts

Back