New meat...not old 1979 olds 98 regency

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Privacy

over a few years time I had the opportunity to haul off some 20' crates that 20' long Ingersoll Rand Air pipe came in.
They were constructed of Hem Fir at a grade better than spf.
I got me a ton of Hem-Fir 20' 2x8's and 1x8's and finally built something.
The 2x8's I'm saving for when I rebuild the porches on the house
Been wondering what to do with some of the 1x8's
I'm on the residential edge of a commercial zone and there's alot of traffic on my street I've been noticing folks I don't know driving down the street or walking the side walk turkey necking when I'm out in the garage and I don't like it.
I also had a problem with the nuisance cops when I first moved in but not lately since I added onto the garage.

I came up with this Idea to put up a little fence and a gate not to keep anyone out or close in my property but just to obscure the view. I share a driveway with the neightbor and when backing a trailer in behind the house you need to use the other side and also sometimes like when I'm coming in with the tow dolly I need to drive up my driveway , go around the back of the house and down the neighbors drive

The gate turned out pretty nice so did the little fenced in corner.
From the sidewalk or the street you cannot see up into the garage or see anything I have torn apart in the driveway.
Almost free. I think I spent maybe $200 on it total for the green treat, the hardware, and the galvanized gun nails.

In the summer I'm going to power wash and etch it and cedar stain it to match the neighbors fence.
He likes it and wants one on his side to meet mine

north privacy from sidewalk.jpg north privacy what it covers up .jpg gate front.jpg gate rear.jpg

Got me a little pivacy blocking view from street aka tweeker proofing

I put up a little fence and a gate. not to fence in the yard but just to obscure the view of anything I'm working on out on the patio, also so you can;t see all up in the shop when the doors are open.
Not a bad idea at all worked out really nice.

north privacy from sidewalk.jpg north privacy what it covers up .jpg gate front.jpg gate rear.jpg

Well.....build is a relative term...

Buick regals and fences?? I thought this was a rat rod forum.

He "built" a fence, he's building something out of parts from the regal...so I guess in the broadest sense of the term he's in the right spot.... HR...gotta give a little artistic lattitude....LOL....[cl besides.....Tman is cool....long winded but cool!!!:D Love Ya Tman..

Well, to get things back on track....

I recently struck a deal on a 1981 Pontaic Grand Prix with the 350 Diesel. It is in EXCELLENT shape and only has 69K miles on it. The p.o. (a feller I work with) put a new starter on it and had the COMPLETE front end rebuilt... A short time later he bought a Geo Metro and quit driving the Poncho. He parked it in the garage (about 8 years ago) and the batteries went bad from sitting. He wanted to make some room, so he sold it to me for $400 with a guarantee that if I bring two new batteries, it will start right up and run perfectly.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it, but I'm thinking change the head bolts, rod bolts and gaskets and use it for a daily driver... And sell my Dodge Magnum R/T...

ORRRR.... Build another rat, when I get the Dodge Brothers done... I'm thinking a 50's or 60's chevy pickup cab on the Pontiac frame with a small flatbed and stacks, then use it for a daily driver....

Well, to get things back on track....

I recently struck a deal on a 1981 Pontaic Grand Prix with the 350 Diesel. It is in EXCELLENT shape and only has 69K miles on it. I'm thinking change the head bolts, rod bolts and gaskets and use it for a daily driver... And sell my Dodge Magnum R/T...

ORRRR.... Build another rat, when I get the Dodge Brothers done... I'm thinking a 50's or 60's chevy pickup cab on the Pontiac frame with a small flatbed and stacks, then use it for a daily driver....
sounds cool. those head bolts are definitely iffy. They sell ARP studs for em and I've heard of guys takign all their head bolts down to a CAT dealer and having them matched with Catapillar bolts that won't stretch.

Daily driver..I've had a few of these diesels. they die quick when the oil pressure drops to zero or you let them boil out or leak away the antifreeze.
every one I've killed was a maintenance failure on my part. I never blew one up driving it.
timing is essential too you'll need an optical probe for a timing light to get an accurate reading. it screws into the glow plug hole and triggers the timing light to blink when the diesel fuel ignites... Takes all of the theory out of setting the timing.
I've also been told it's important to let them warm up or install a toggle switch in the fast idle solenoid circuit so you don't drive off with the injector pump cranked in at high advance and on a high idle(warmup feature)

Well, the Oldsmobile Regency is a daily driver I'm fixing on the cheap, and the Regal will become a gasser if I get around to it. Just documenting my progress with my buddies.
I had to put up the fence so I can build in peace without getting a nuissance ticket for tearing a car apart in my driveway and so the tweekers don't get too curious. I have low income and assisted living apartments a block away, chulos always out wandering and a taco bell and a big parking lot accross the street where you can sit and watch me. Lot's of people hanging out there after friday night lights.

All in all it's still a good clean neighborhood. My place is a little run down and looks worse for wear than it is. the rest of the neighborhood is pretty well kept and I respect them enough to want to keep my ratrod junk and goodies out of sight.
I did get ticketed for an inop car when i was moving in and contested it to get a hearing with the citizens board. I said look folks, I'm just trying to stay out of trouble, keep my cars running and have a little fun, I'm not running a business here and any one can come up to me at any time if they have a problem and I'll make it right. I just want to get along.
I went broke a couple years ago and almost lost the house.
I went from making 46k-50k to making 10k-16k since 2008

every once in a while you have to tell someone who wandered up your driveway in the dark after midnight to keep walking. any kids that are trouble from my experience as a kid who himself was always spooking about.. well they just know who is hard and who is soft and in my neighborhood the neighbors are pretty nosy and call me if something doesn't look right.

I think adding the gate and the little bit of fence was a stroke of genious.
For me it definitely was a solution to a problem.
Everyone probably thinks you build a fence all the way and close it all off. I never heard of anyone just blocking the view and leaving the rest open so that's about all there is too it.

Lol I almost forgot... You ain't smelled the inside of the regal yet or seen what's on the floor...and the dash... and the....
Still have mummified zombie mice all over in it

put them all over the yard - that should keep people away lol

Make a necklace of dead mice to be worn with a sawgrass Kilt for those special occasions when your blowing a Jericho horn from the rooftop at 3 am..THAT will keep everyone but the cops away.

Sounds like you know about that from experience!!

Make a necklace of dead mice to be worn with a sawgrass Kilt for those special occasions when your blowing a Jericho horn from the rooftop at 3 am..THAT will keep everyone but the cops away.

T-Man...I have to say I've never seen a sawgrass Kilt.....and I'm a Scotsman...!!!:D But yep....I'd say that would get a unit over in no time..LOL and the EMS to transport to the Psych center for 72 hour evaluation.....

Hi guys... update...
Well I sent the regal down the road...fastest engine pull for me. buyer disconnected the transmission and chopped the exhaust, i dropped the driveshaft disconnected everything up top, we ganged up on the motor mount bolts and the 350 diesel and tranny were swinging from my forklift in about an hour. spent an hour cleaning up the mess...

I was looking at the tranny and it is a th350 but it has the normal kickdown cable plus a 2 prong electrical connection just like the 700r4. I think I just scored a lockup turbo 350!

couple guys bought the regal to build a figure 8 car out of. I got my 650 out of it and the engine and tranny and they will prolly get 200 back outta the wheels and whatever they can sell of it. good deal for all.

I found the missing fan shroud for my regency at the junkyard and now it's just tear these engines down and hope i have enough good stuff to put one together.

Im looking around for other parts too for my ford 4x4. i think I'm going to pull the 460 and put a 6 cylinder in it

In another thread I swapped the blowed up 6.2 diesel out of my 86 chevy for a 350.
I just found a rust free 4 door dually with 77k miles and a good 6.2. I think i might buy it and pull the half ton box and rear axle from my trash trailer and swap a half ton front end under the 4 door and lower it.
Nobody wants a gas guzzling one ton dually.... can't get rd of them.. I wonder about a lowered half ton 4 door with a pontiac 400 and an overdrive...

I just found a rust free 4 door dually with 77k miles and a good 6.2. I think i might buy it and pull the half ton box and rear axle from my trash trailer and swap a half ton front end under the 4 door and lower it.
Nobody wants a gas guzzling one ton dually.... can't get rd of them.. I wonder about a lowered half ton 4 door with a pontiac 400 and an overdrive...

I've had a bunch of chevy trucks over the years, but thats the one I've always wanted to build and haven't..yet..a lowered crew with a shortbed and 1/2" running gear..you should build it so I can watch:D:D

Ain't got a ratrod yet (watch your mouth :) )
but I scored another crucial component...
I picked up a straight tube axle with 46 ford spindles and 55 f100 brakes for $200
and put in an offer on a complete 77 pontiac 400 engine with 6x heads and a tokerII intake.

The guy who sold me the tube axle also has a mint as in "cherry" fully restored 29 ford he's selling (not cheap-he's not outrageous but he's 74 and knows what he has)
...has some 49 banjo axles, a 50's olds rear, the tilt telescopic column and power seat tracks from an old 70's tornado. a 32 front axle with steel artillery wheels and whitewalls.
other 29 parts. A couple 32 grills and shells.
I was trying to get a hold of a guy selling 2 1947 dodge pickups for $1500 and the only reply I got from the guy in the month that he had them listed (after trying to contact him for a month) was "sorry just sold them"

I just struck a deal for a clean safety yaller 2001 4.6 f150... needs timing set replaced...

I don't know if I will end up building a bobber or a gasser or a traditional hotrod but the quest continues.

I'm trying to contact a guy with a MIG feeder from a commercial 3 phase unit. it appears to have only a 110v plug. I suspect i can use it to convert my 220v/440v singlephase lincoln Idealarc 240 ac dc+ dc- stick rig to a stout mig.

I still have some misc 1970-1981 firebird parts on OmahaCL under "Mike 402-830-4274" I tell you what, after selling off my 71 bird to put Wells Fargo at bay i did fairly well selling off the extra parts.

I'm also hunting for the sheetmetal for under the rear window of my 68 nova. Ithink It's not reproduced and has to come out of an old nova. any tips or leads would be appreciated.
Torchman week in revue will now end it's broadcast day toot toot toot flag waves, beer pops and I'm off to bed.

FYI...

Back when Chevy was sticking those 5.7 Diesels in pickups we did a lot of engine swaps using the 350 and 455 olds motors....easy swap and the 350 transmissions with the torque converter for the diesels gave those motors a ton of extra low end torque....higher stall speeds used with the diesels gave those gas motors some extra grunt...not that those big blocks needed much but was a nice easy swap..... and all the items from the diesel fit the engine bay...now back to your regularyly scheduled programming....:D sorry, flash backs!!

Latest posts

Back