New Member new Build 40 Chevy KC

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bab59

Hello everyone new to this site and starting on my first rat build it is a 1939-1940 Chevy Pickup I am not sure on the year cause it has the headlights on the side of the grill but no lights on top of fenders? I was going to build a new frame out of 2x3 but, I have seen a few builds using stock frames and I think the stock frame with the body channeled would be more my style. So I had a few questions on what you guys to that have been using stock frames?
Your opinions please on stock and home built frames?
1. What do you do with the front axle, suspension, steering and brake wise pn a stock frame?
2. I will be using a chevy 350 What radiator works good on this it will have no fenders and a homemade/tractor grill.
All opinions and help are very appreciated GREAT SITE!

Sounds like a 39 to me. The original front suspension is a parallel leaf set up. You could convert that to a suicide front end. The old steering box is probably not good... maybe.. hard to tell from here, but switching to a different box is an option. Alot of this depends on your skills and tools. Anyway welcome to the site, and try to get a picture on here of that truck of yours. (mine is a 39 Chevy too)

Last edited:
Welcome to RRR bab59. Good advice given by Bonehead already. Just personal preference, but if I kept the stock frame, and was running fenderless, I would switch the front suspension from GM parallel leaf to Ford type transverse leaf. Sounds like a cool project. Some pics would be nice.

Welcome!

Bab,
Welcome to the forum!!! Can't wait to see some pictures of the truck! Good luck on u're build & keep us in da loop!!! Make u're self @ home & feel free to join rat in!!! :D

BoB

Door Latch And Handle

How do you guys fix or repair or what...What do you guys do on these 40 pickups to get the door handle back in working condition mine are both broke off any ideas? Thanks

Latest posts

Back