New Project: FINALLY SCORED A WILLYS

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montclaire

It took me almost a year, but I finally got a 31 willys. It's either a 97 or a 98, I need to measure the wheelbase to be sure. Looks like they made a farm truck out of it years ago, my guess would be that it was a sedan at one point, as neither front fender is bowled out for a spare tire. As you can see, it needs quite a few parts and more than a fair share of elbow grease, but I have enough to get my chassis set up while I hunt for sheetmetal. And, as you can see, I can use all the body parts I can get, so if you spot anything please keep me in mind. [email protected]

willys2.jpg

willys3.jpg

It's going to be a little bit of both. My grandfather had a 31 sport coupe, so that is what I'm going to replicate. It will be a full fender car, but will have mechanical upgrades. I'm planning to use as many willys/jeep/AMC parts as possible, probably a 232 I6 and a 3 or 4 speed for motorvation.

Good deal. Glad you identified it. That's an interesting right rear tire on it.

Like I said, farm truck. Still has the wooden wheels on it with that funky tire... During the war it was not uncommon to convert older cars into wooden flatbed trucks, mainly because trucks were given a 'B' decal and allowed more fuel.

Last edited:
Parts

Montclaire,
That's nice but don't think I've ever see one before. Wonder how hard it's going to be to find body parts? Good luck!

Beercan

Beer - not too easy, I'm sure. I'm hoping to find something at the Hershey show in october. I figure if I can find one major item per year, I'll be ok. For example a pair of doors one year, a set of rear fenders the next, etc. I have a feeling there will be quite a bit of cobbling going on to get this thing on the road, but we'll see what happens. I may be able to mod a whippet rear body section to get what I need, they seem to be a little more common.
For right now it's going to sit in storage while I work on getting my running gear together to set up and box the chassis. With any luck, if I keep my eyes open, the rest will fall into place.

Parts

I find it strange that in some parts of the country they had Willy's, Packards, Essex & other brands but down here in Tejas we hardly see those but we do have LOTS of trucks!!! ; - > Good luck findin' the parts u need!!!

BoB

I have a willys to check out sometime. A kid I worked with told me they had a willys with a tree growing through it at their ranch. I ask if it was a Jeep and he said no, it's a car but that was as much as he knew. I was actuall hoping it was a 40ish coupe.:D:D

Latest posts

Back