new rat rodder from mid GA

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maroon88iroc

new to rat rodding always wanted to build one but I've always been busy with other projects. I got a deal on a "project" which I think is a great start but let me know what yall think, Its a '50 dodge, chopped, channelled, s10 chasis, and 350/th350. it needs a transmission though so I'm trying to locate a good th 350 so I can get it back on the road.

I know alot of people dont like the s10 chasis rat rods and ill be honest I dont either but this is the cheapest way for me to do it right now. Eventually if I stay interested in the truck Ill build a front frame with a drop axle but for now its staying. I just have to come up with a way to make the front end look better (grill, maybe fenders, etc.) if anyone has any ideas let me know

Attachments

• rat.jpg
    rat.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 36
  • rat 2.jpg
    rat 2.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 25
  • rat 3.jpg
    rat 3.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 23
  • rat 5.jpg
    rat 5.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 28
Looks like a fine start, (and you already see the downfalls of an S10 front end). I say run it until you change it. It is still going to be fun. Congratulations, and Welcome to the site.

Welcome to RRR!

I see a lot of potential. I also see a good example of why s10 frames aren't an easy choice for a rat.

Personally, I think you could make it look fairly good using that frame and some work. You'd basically have to shift the cab/engine/radiator as far back as possible, bob the bed, and use a rack and pinion so you could lop off the frame horns and ditch the PS gearbox.

Are the letters on the tailgate really backwards or is it just the picture?

Welcome......

looks good to me....I'm sure you can get some good input on what to do and how to improve your ride if you want too....[cl

Welcome to the RRR [cl
I think it's OK, with a little work it'll be great :D
"use a rack and pinion so you could lop off the frame horns and ditch the PS gearbox."
I can't believe Sam called your gearbox a piece of sh** [S
:eek: Oh wait, PS means power steering [ddev

Jim

Thank you guys for the positive comments! I am honestly.surprised, I have done a lot of research on fenderless s10 chasis rattles and most people are just really mean about how they look. Like I said I don't think they look the best either but I don't think they look so bad that they deserve that much disrespect. I do like the idea of converting the steering to rack and pinion and modifying the front horns of the frame, I think that will clean the look up a lot.

Yes the dodge tailgate is welded in backwards. I have no idea why the previous owner did this.

Did I mention I picked this truck up as is for 1300 bucks? So I have a lot of progress so far for the money I have invested. When I bought it the motor was full of water and I was told the transmission needs rebuilt. I drained all the milkshake out of the engine over the weekend and pulled all the plugs, cleaned them and poured a little mystery oil into each cylinder. Fired it up and drove it around the block a couple times, got it warm enough to let the thermostat open and the oil still looks black no milky, so I think its gonna be ok. I found a guy who sells rebuilt th350's for 425$ with exchange so I should have under 2k in it running and driving.

front-end

from one dodge truck owner to another........................

just find the 1948-1955 dodge truck front sheetmetal and put it together.

keep the frame ya have. easier than changing all the steering stuff and these trucks look a WHOLE LOT BETTER with the front sheet metal on (trust me l know) and a set of rear fenders and it'll rock in the looks depmartment.

a 7OOR4 is a good trans choice, helps fuel mileage a bunch. and as a added bonus the engine RPM at 60-70 MPH is a lot easier on the motor.

Later :cool:

Hello

Welcome to triple R.... you have a good start listen to some of the others and you'll have a sweet lookin truck.....

Latest posts

Back