New to forum from KY

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatgreyG

I have been lurking around here and never introduced myself. My father and I just bought a pair of 1.5 ton GM truck cabs( 41 and 46). This will be our first build outside of circle track cars. Been looking at chassis ideas and prices. When yesterday morning I came across deal of century. A 1935 Ford PU frame with wire wheels, front end including steering box, and rear end. Get this are you ready.......$200.00. I am super pumped and ready to start this thing.

Now for a question or 2. Can I run the banjo rear end with sbc? Should I go ahead and still build own frame and put all the parts from the 35 frame on it? Just a few to start. Probably be more later.

Thanks for you input in advance.......

welcome to the site! just a heads up, but we thrive on pics around here-so get 'em posted ....

the banjo might be a little weak for much romping w/sbc....
the 35 frame can be used if you like the "flow and shape" but i would box it if you use it....just my 2 cents....
also remember 35 fords had mechanical brakes so a definate upgrade is in order there!

the old-timers used to swap out for '40 model ford brakes, b/c all will interchange, the 40 is hydraulic......technically 39 was 1st yr for the hydraulic brakes if memory serves correctly but it had a big "wide 5" bolt pattern...so most used 40 reg ford 5 -hole..maybe up to 48 is same-there are others around here that definitely know more about that subject than i do- i'm sure they'll be able to help ya out

the old-timers used to swap out for '40 model ford brakes, b/c all will interchange, the 40 is hydraulic......technically 39 was 1st yr for the hydraulic brakes if memory serves correctly but it had a big "wide 5" bolt pattern...so most used 40 reg ford 5 -hole..maybe up to 48 is same-there are others around here that definitely know more about that subject than i do- i'm sure they'll be able to help ya out

Thanks Hot Rod Preacher!! I am headed to pick it up here in a few and will post pics this evening.

Welcome from NC. The only sane info I can give you about building a ride is listen to what these other guys tell you and you can be sure they will steer you straight.
Get them pictures up soon.

Welcom on board . what part of KY are you from?I live here in whitesburg KY.
Do you make it to summer nights cruise in in summer set much?

Welcome to RRR. I agree with the advice already given so far. Just to be clear, the juice brakes don't have to be form a 1940 vehicle. 39/40 through 48 will work. Ideally, you should use 37 and up spindles also. You'll probably break the end off of an axle before you blow the rear but both are a possibility. If you use skinny tires, it is possible that you'll lose traction before the rear grenades.:)

Welcome!!!

Flatgray,
Welcome to the forum & it just shows to go ya... there are *still* some good deals to be had out there if you keep u're eyes open or are just plain old lucky! Can't wait to follow u're build!

BoB

hi flatgrey, welcome aboard, i just did a front end change over, you can use your front axle, thats it, you will need to get 39/48 spindles, backing plates,wheel cyl. shoes, and king pins, did mine for around 250 bucks, now that said,im pretty sure your steering will be different, i went with the bump steer ( steering off the left tire ) shop around or post a wanted ad on here for parts, and post pics...

Welcome to RRR, flatgrey. Only here a short while & look at all the good suggestions you get. Just a small example of the help you can get for the asking here. And some good suggestions, too. What part of Louisville you around ? I used to work in Fern Creek, Beuchel & Okalona.

Welcome to RRR, flatgrey. Only here a short while & look at all the good suggestions you get. Just a small example of the help you can get for the asking here. And some good suggestions, too. What part of Louisville you around ? I used to work in Fern Creek, Beuchel & Okalona.

I live in the Okolona area.

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies. I picked frame up and it is now in the garage. I will try and get pics up today. After reading all these replies you can see that I am now in need of front spindels and all the goodies to upgrade braking if you know anyone.........also looking for 2 more "35 wire wheels for the front

good to see another local on here, I'm in Corydon,Indiana about 25 minutes from Louisville and actually work in Louisville. I know a guy i can get you 2 more of the 16 inch wires from as well.

good to see another local on here, I'm in Corydon,Indiana about 25 minutes from Louisville and actually work in Louisville. I know a guy i can get you 2 more of the 16 inch wires from as well.

After doing some research and being the newbie that I am, I don't think they are the originals. They are 16x7 52 spoke. Look good but not original. Now have to find who make these or maybe a full set of originals. Still got a great deal on frame.

Pictures

Here are a few pics. If anyone know what type wheels these are please let me know.

Attachments

• 100_0703.jpg
    100_0703.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_0704.jpg
    100_0704.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_0705.jpg
    100_0705.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 100_0706.jpg
    100_0706.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 6
yeah they don't look like originals but i'm pretty new to so who knows, they kinda look like an old set of dayton or roadster wires someone has painted red. you still got a good deal on the frame though.

I'll sent you a PM about some wheels.

Latest posts

Back