new to this

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevharriet

My name is Kevin and i just joined this site because i am looking into starting a rat rod project and I am probably gonna need some help and tips. this will be my first rat rod and am not real sure where to start. For the last few years i have been more into working on tuner cars but i just moved away from everything so i figure i will start new and try something new with a different style of cars. So any advice anyone can give me would be excellent and very much appreciated

I best handling and cheapest to build Rat Rods are based on Mini Pickup frames. Just find some Toyota or Ford Ranger or in my case a Dodge D50 pickup. Rip off the body and channel a Earlier Pickup cab over it. That means raising the floor so it will sit down over the frame. The great thing about Rat Rods is there are no rules you can build what you like. These frames come complete with suspension and usually disc brakes. Try to preserve parts like the pedals and master cylinder to reuse . This will save you alot of time and effort. Find an old radiator shell and make a frame it sit it on . You can reuse the radiator from your mini pick up. The Toyotas a have a torsion bar front suspension and look decent with all the junk ripped off them. Maybe with your past experience you could dress up some 4 cylinder engine using some tuner parts you got laying around. I guess you already know that with a little effort 4 bangers can make decent horsepower.

Welcome to the site. Alot of the rat rod style comes from what you can do metal work wise, (welding, cutting, shaping). Without those you are building a different style, of rat. Do you have a "look" that you like? The easiest way to get into Rodding is to by an old car from the 50's, make it safe, and drive it! An old truck would be another way to start. Make it safe, and drive it. The next step involves rebuilding suspensions, chopping tops, dropping in different motors. The third step would be making something from scratch. It all revolves around skill levels, how much you are willing to learn, and what you want as an end result.

{A "Rat Rod" is: An unconventional Hot rod build.}

Welcome to the site Kevin, there is a wealth of information here from many talented folks. Read lots of threads on the different subjects and don't be afraid to ask questions, no question is too basic, everybody at some point in their life started at point zero. The main problem I have seen over the years is getting in over ones head. Start with something that just needs a little work to be drivable and safe. Bonehead gave some good advise there. If you bite off more than you can handle its too easy to become discouraged.

Welcome aboard Kev,
These guys have already given good sound advice, soo I'm going to say about the same. If you have experience in tuner cars, use it. If you have tuner parts laying around, use them. The main objective around here is to build it safe, as cheap as possible, and build it your way...That is what makes it cool.

Welcome to RRR, Kev ! Won't beat an old horse to death so what they said above about building your ride. Don't be afraid to ask questions. There's a lot of knowledge here & these guys aren'y shy about sharin' it.

Back