New toy

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowbudget50

Creators of all things awesome
Well I ran across the deal on this lathe that I could not pass up. It came off at naval ship so it's not as long as normal. Super well maintained I even got owner's manuals with it. Lots of extra tooling and a couple different Chuck setups. Now to refresh my memory on how to use one

Attachments

• 0813211718_HDR.jpg
    0813211718_HDR.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 46
lathe

i'm sure you know, you just created a monster. you will find more projects now and wonder how you did without it. i had a 12 in x 48 in long south bend that was a 1929 one for about 20 years and wore it out. it was a 220v one. i bought a south bend 14 recently that is 3 phase. i have everything to make a phase convertor but haven't got to it yet. i am always needed it when i am building a car. how dumb am i to not have it running yet?

Congrats on the lathe. Those ole South Bend lathes are great.
The only way I'd get by without mine is, about a mile up the road my neighbor has a full machine shop and would let me use his.
I don't like doing that besides its handier to have it right here.

sweet [cl
I`d love to have a lathe and milling machine but my shop seems to get clogged up with tools... :rolleyes:
I`m hoping to close a deal on a big 1850-ish fly-press this week... project may have to wait outside in the future ...lol

Thanks guys I got a trip plan next week so when I get back I'll get it all hooked up. I think I already had my first project for it. that's a cool little Craftsman lathe

Would love to have one, but don't have the room, and don't know squat about running one.
You can get a more domesticated model like mine. Small, quiet, and house broken. It lives in my living room. I use it to spin up pool cues. :D

Expect to spend more on tooling than the lathe. Of course, having one leads to wanting a milling machine. And they are a whole other can of worms. :eek:

Attachments

• Mini lathe small.jpg
    Mini lathe small.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 18
Awesome LB. That looks superb. Just got this little lathe from dad. Owners manual also. Now how do we run these 😏
First thing is to turn it around so the motor is in back. Sorry, couldn't help myself. ;)[ddd

That is a cute little antique. Likely better quality than my import mini-lathe. It will be fun learning how to use it.

You can get a more domesticated model like mine. Small, quiet, and house broken. It lives in my living room. I use it to spin up pool cues. :D

Expect to spend more on tooling than the lathe. Of course, having one leads to wanting a milling machine. And they are a whole other can of worms. :eek:

Is that one of the Harbor Freight mini lathes?

Latest posts

Back