Newbie needs help again!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schine

Ok, so the first time i bought a car, it was a 1976 Camaro, i bought it because i couldn't start a ground up build, obviously, i mean, i'm 20 and i have never built one before so i got that one that's rideable and it's my EDR. thanks for the advide on that one btw.

BUT, i managed to save some money, due to hard work and christmas :D

And i realised that, by now i may be able to buy anothercar, i actually ran into a pretty awesome 1949 chevy pick up that i found insanely cool, and so i thought, -this is the one for me-

There's a glitch with this one, its mounted over a car frame, the owner couldn't tell me what was the donor car, but by now the truck is sittin low and it already have the chev 350 engine, that minor detail, makes me think that it's worth the having even though it hasn't been moven in about 5 years...

and it doesnt have any papers, but, how could she have, if its kind of a hybrid?

the things its about.. 800 USD(obviously in MXN pesos), you guys think its worth the risk?

Could you post some pictures of the chassis amigo? Mainly the front stub and A-arms. I might be able to tell you what chassis it is or at least get close. It's worth a try at least. Besides these guys on this sight love pictures lots of pictures.

Could you post some pictures of the chassis amigo? Mainly the front stub and A-arms. I might be able to tell you what chassis it is or at least get close. It's worth a try at least. Besides these guys on this sight love pictures lots of pictures.

i´ll try to get pics soon, the truck's all covered inplants and weeds so, i'll see what i can get for you, thanks :D

First off let me say how nice it is for a young person to like old cars, I hope you all the best, and there are alot of people here willing to help out with any questions or problems you run into. Now let me be the bad guy and say this, you said the 49 has no paper work, before you buy it find out how hard it will be to get the proper papers, how many hoops you will need to jump through, and how much it is going to cost you, we all like to find a good deal, nobody wants to put blood sweat and tears into a project to find out when they go to title it, the numbers come back as being stolen, or the orignal owner wants it back, and all your hard work gets towed away never to be seen again. You need to go to your local dmv or whatever they call it in Mexico and see what its going to take to get it straight before you buy it, or go to a local car meet (show) and talk to some of the people there with older cars and ask them how it was done, someone will have the answer's you are looking for. I hate to sound like the bad guy here, but there are too many things to consider before you buy, it may be cheeper to save up a little more money and buy something with all the right paper work. I know we all want the good deal but sometimes when you step back and look at it as the big picture it gets a little blurry. I wish you all the bset in this adventure, hang in there and all things will work out.

First off let me say how nice it is for a young person to like old cars, I hope you all the best, and there are alot of people here willing to help out with any questions or problems you run into. Now let me be the bad guy and say this, you said the 49 has no paper work, before you buy it find out how hard it will be to get the proper papers, how many hoops you will need to jump through, and how much it is going to cost you, we all like to find a good deal, nobody wants to put blood sweat and tears into a project to find out when they go to title it, the numbers come back as being stolen, or the orignal owner wants it back, and all your hard work gets towed away never to be seen again. You need to go to your local dmv or whatever they call it in Mexico and see what its going to take to get it straight before you buy it, or go to a local car meet (show) and talk to some of the people there with older cars and ask them how it was done, someone will have the answer's you are looking for. I hate to sound like the bad guy here, but there are too many things to consider before you buy, it may be cheeper to save up a little more money and buy something with all the right paper work. I know we all want the good deal but sometimes when you step back and look at it as the big picture it gets a little blurry. I wish you all the bset in this adventure, hang in there and all things will work out.

thanks for the greetings, and advice, i appreciate them a lot, about the papers i dont worry, i forgot to tell you guys this, my dad is a lawyer, so he can get me the ownership arrangements with some sort of letter that certifys that the car is mine, i do not know the name in english, i believe its something like an adjudication, but that problem is basically solved... now, about the truck, waht do you think?

It sounds like a fair deal at this point, but without seeing the kind of work that was done ect. it is hard to judge. I have seen some really horrible stuff done under a car like that. I would still run the numbers or the license if it has one, and if you come up with a previous owner, contact them before you buy it. It would take a pretty good lawyer to keep ownership for you if the previous owner says it was stolen or just wants to be a butthead.

Welcome and listen to the above advice! It doesn't matter if your dad is a top notch lawyer, when the original owner shows up with the title and says it's his, the truck goes to him, no matter what shape and condition. Do yourself a giant favor and title it to your name 1st! Good luck with the build and don't forget the pics! ....CR

Also there could be as many as 3 or more serial numbers involved here. One for the body, one for the chassis and then the engine. Could be a real nightmare.

The guys are right, every car out there is registered to SOMEONE. Why doesn't the seller have a title? I know things are done a little differently sometimes in Mexico, but it would be really bad if the real owner shows up some day and drives away legally with your pride and joy. It has happened before.

And yes, pictures are the only way we have of giving an opinion as to how well things were done. There is a lot of hack work out there and when I hear one of these is sitting on some other car frame my antennas go up. :D

Don

The guys are right, every car out there is registered to SOMEONE. Why doesn't the seller have a title? I know things are done a little differently sometimes in Mexico, but it would be really bad if the real owner shows up some day and drives away legally with your pride and joy. It has happened before.

And yes, pictures are the only way we have of giving an opinion as to how well things were done. There is a lot of hack work out there and when I hear one of these is sitting on some other car frame my antennas go up. :D

Don

i'm aware, i know there is awful work done in cars aout there, but that one "belongs" to a guy that runs a body shop, so my guess is that he wouldn't accept anything, he also owns a 46 international and a 42 tudor or somthing like that, so he knows about cars...that kinda gives me certain confidence about the work that has been done to the car, what it's true is that we cannot know the quality until we check it out closely...

Latest posts

Back