newbie project from Australia

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozmon

This is my first rat rod project a 1950 Standard Vanguard Saloon . Im not sure but I may be the first person to rat rod one. If anyone else has seen one done as as a rat or hot rod and has photos lets see them.

Attachments

• project1.jpg
    project1.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 23
  • project2.jpg
    project2.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 19
  • project3.jpg
    project3.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 28
The chassis is in great condition, there's only rust on the interior floor due to a window being open and in the boot floor which is pretty common. All the panels are sound apart from the big dint in the right front which Im going to leave there

Sweet!!!

Ozmon,
That looks really kool & I've never seen one B4! What kinda motor's in that beast?

BoB

Its a 2ltr wet sleeve four and I can get cheap parts for it too. The gear box is an all syncromesh 3 speed column shift.For an English car there something very Mercury/Chev/Ford about it thats for sure.

To keep costs down I wont chop the roof the area around the back window would take a fair bit of measuring to get it right.Thats not to say Im not ruling it out but no not now.

To fit the airbag suspension is going to be a bit fun, the rear end has a 13 pack leaf spring suspension which I will have to remove as there is no room for an airbag over leaf arrangement.The front has a hydraulic cantilever shock which Im hoping will work with the airbag.

13 pack leaf spring suspension

Well here are the photos you wanted to see. Yes Sir, no mucking around here. 13

Attachments

• 13 pack leaf spring 1.jpg
    13 pack leaf spring 1.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 13 pack leaf spring pack 2.jpg
    13 pack leaf spring pack 2.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
And thats on a car that weighs 1300 kilos or 2900 pounds.The car at the moment is a non runner so I dont now how it drives on those springs, but apparently they were a good ride at 90mph!

And here is what my car should look like originally, the project idea is just imagine those white walls ( a bit wider tyre), the patina its got and polished chrome and down low :D_____:D . The ute is a 1953 Standard Vanguard phase2 with the wide bar grille that someone has done as a street rod.

Attachments

• sv usa.gif
    sv usa.gif
    104.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 1953 S.V ute rod.jpg
    1953 S.V ute rod.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Back