Newbie with a few front clip questions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwistedDemensions

ive just recently purchased myself a 1949 gmc truck and have done alot of research on front clips but all anwsers are jumbled and alot more arguing then some direct help,im helping my good friend build his 59 apache and its got the 69 camaro front clip but ive read its to wide for my frame which is fine so my questions from my search WITHOUT doing the s10 frame is do i do an s10 front clip if so what year and would a camaro 10 or12 bolt rear end be the same bolt pattern oooorrrr do i do the mustangll front clip but if i do that arent the bolt patterns at that year different ford and chevy? im wanting to bag my truck but not notching the rear just laying out as low as itll let me. or do i just disc brake the stock front and call it a day? thanks any help works

There are a few links on this board of guys doing an S-10 frame swap with the AD trucks, and that is how I would build another one if I ever find another body for the right price. But since it seems that's not the route you want to take, all I can tell you is with the 49 I built years ago, I used the Mustang II set up for the front of mine. You can get rotors with about any bolt pattern you want. I had mine with the standard Chevy 4-3/4" pattern, plus I opted for the bigger calipers that many of the manufactures offer. As far as the rear end....I used a 2nd generation Camaro rear (1970-1981). It was a bolt in with out any major issues.

IMO the money you'd spend to disc brake the front of your stock front axle (and rebuild any worn parts) would be more then buying a MII conversion and having all new parts to start...and for what its worth, the MII front on mine took a day to do (cut off old springs and front end, clean up theframe for the crossmember, weld everything up, and bolt the new stuff on and have it back on the ground)....and I don't work very fast

Do you think instead of the s10 frame I just did the front clip of the s10 would that work? Yeh mll front ends aren't bad I got a buddie that's got one for 250 and the parts would be about 250 as far as brakes etc

You can use the front portion of an S10 frame and graft it onto the AD truck or do the complete frame swap, whatever floats your boat. Either way, the mounting of the radiator and front sheet metal with the S10 front end is a hassle compared to doing the MII kit. More work, less money to use the S10 stuff IMO.

So mll would be the route that's simple, in regards to the s10 frame swap its just to costly that's why I said I'd just do the front clip cause I think I saw on *d engeneering or w.e the site is they have mounts for v8's on s10 and bumper mounts rad mounts etc if mustang clips easier then I'm picking mine up here next week

front clip

I like the full size Chrysler k member install.
it goes in much like the old volare job but is a little bigger and handles better.
The frame stays virgin all the way to the bumper you just notch and trim the bottom of the frame to mate with the k member and weld it in.

I saw one done on a 58 f100 and it looks very clean

I have 2 1946 chevy truck front axles that I'm holding for projects. One has 5 lug car drums on it and the other has disc brakes.
Both axles measure 61" from wheel to wheel (where the wheels bolt on to the drum or disc...not the wheels' bead)
An Axle from a 1970-1981 GM F body will measure 61" wheel to wheel.
The 1970-1981 GM f body axle will fit your truck perfect and line right up with the stock straight axle.

An axle from a 1969 and older GM f body (Firebird+Camaro) or nova will measure 60" wheel to wheel

If you can find a 79-80 something caddy seville it will have the same axle in it and the 2nd generation f body but the wheel stud pattern will be different.
The seville axles run the same rear discs as the 76-81 trans ams. You can run the caddy pattern or swap the axles out for firebird shafts and use the firebird rotors.

An Axle from a 69-71 mustang or cougar will measure 59" wheel to wheel
An axle from a 1972? and older f100 is about 61" or 62" wheel to wheel

you might look at the `04 and up crown vic(cop car) front suspension. easy bolt on (like a mII) and have big disc brakes(must use at least 16'' wheels) and its set up for mod motors (cop car interceptor)

I like the full size Chrysler k member install.
it goes in much like the old volare job but is a little bigger and handles better.
The frame stays virgin all the way to the bumper you just notch and trim the bottom of the frame to mate with the k member and weld it in.

I saw one done on a 58 f100 and it looks very clean

I have 2 1946 chevy truck front axles that I'm holding for projects. One has 5 lug car drums on it and the other has disc brakes.
Both axles measure 61" from wheel to wheel (where the wheels bolt on to the drum or disc...not the wheels' bead)
An Axle from a 1970-1981 GM F body will measure 61" wheel to wheel.
The 1970-1981 GM f body axle will fit your truck perfect and line right up with the stock straight axle.

An axle from a 1969 and older GM f body (Firebird+Camaro) or nova will measure 60" wheel to wheel

If you can find a 79-80 something caddy seville it will have the same axle in it and the 2nd generation f body but the wheel stud pattern will be different.
The seville axles run the same rear discs as the 76-81 trans ams. You can run the caddy pattern or swap the axles out for firebird shafts and use the firebird rotors.

An Axle from a 69-71 mustang or cougar will measure 59" wheel to wheel
An axle from a 1972? and older f100 is about 61" or 62" wheel to wheel

Alrite cool, thanks for the knowledge, so your sayin an 71-80s fbody would be the exact same width as my 49 gmc? I've read a lot of people saying there to wide.. K member swap? Never read anything on do u perhaps have a link to this?

you might look at the `04 and up crown vic(cop car) front suspension. easy bolt on (like a mII) and have big disc brakes(must use at least 16'' wheels) and its set up for mod motors (cop car interceptor)

With that swap I'd have different bolt patterns front and rear. And have you seen this domne or just a thought?.

Ive seen that crown vic setup too. it's clean...
I've never heard anyone say "hey man that bolt pattern is wrong".
If you can bolt the rim on the car it ain't wrong.
You can still get a unilug rim and use it for a spare.

I've never measured a 46-59 rear axle. i don't know how a 2nd gen axle would compare to the 46-59 rear...I do know it is the same as the front.

Ive seen that crown vic setup too. it's clean...
I've never heard anyone say "hey man that bolt pattern is wrong".
If you can bolt the rim on the car it ain't wrong.
You can still get a unilug rim and use it for a spare.

I've never measured a 46-59 rear axle. i don't know how a 2nd gen axle would compare to the 46-59 rear...I do know it is the same as the front.

I was trying to avoid a ford lug pattern up front and chevy in the rear I'm planning on doing a firebird disc brake rear axle I think 72.

So you guys are thinking the crown vic swap would be slick over doing the s10 frontend/suspension or mustangll?

Do the crown vic swap up front. and an explorer rear axle. You'll end up with 4 wheel discs, good steering and a smooth ride.

Latest posts

Back