next project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yummy Fords

Preacher, looks like a a great project and great metal to work with. The truck we are staring next is the same year....lots of fun cant wait for you to start posting progress!!

thanks for comments guys!

here's a few pics of yesterday & todays work
this set of yesterday-there's a full day there whether it looks like it or not!!!
ratrodbuild005.jpg

ratrodbuild006.jpg

ratrodbuild007.jpg

ratrodbuild008.jpg

ratrodbuild009.jpg

the welding is getting better as i got alot of practice on those boxing plates and trans crossmember....

well after getting the motor out, the plates in, and a brake pedal temporarily swung, i quit-for the day....
i decided to go back and try and put some more time in today-here's that report....first the frame got some rattle can low gloss black after some wire-brushing-sorry not gonna go to the trouble of sandblasting this one--
then, after a little carb cleaner on the motor and some cleaning, stabbed the motor back in

ratrodbuild011.jpg

ratrodbuild012.jpg

i think she looks purdy!!!--purdy and ratty that's a combo hard to pull off ya know he! he!

ratrodbuild013.jpg

and now for the best reason to be workin today- the firstborn went with me - first interest he's shown toward hotrods in a while-might be b/c i bribed him by letting him paint the frame-but i don't care, we had fun-and he got to help put the motor in-that was a first for him "it went pretty easy" in his words.....thank GOD for the little ones....

ratrodbuild014.jpg

You sure do have a good combo of purdy and ratty goin' on. I like it.
I can't wait for my son to be old enough to help me. He's 2 now, he still wants to help but can't really do much.

:)

well after getting the motor out, the plates in, and a brake pedal temporarily swung, i quit-for the day....
i decided to go back and try and put some more time in today-here's that report....first the frame got some rattle can low gloss black after some wire-brushing-sorry not gonna go to the trouble of sandblasting this one--
then, after a little carb cleaner on the motor and some cleaning, stabbed the motor back in

ratrodbuild011.jpg

ratrodbuild012.jpg

i think she looks purdy!!!--purdy and ratty that's a combo hard to pull off ya know he! he!

ratrodbuild013.jpg

and now for the best reason to be workin today- the firstborn went with me - first interest he's shown toward hotrods in a while-might be b/c i bribed him by letting him paint the frame-but i don't care, we had fun-and he got to help put the motor in-that was a first for him "it went pretty easy" in his words.....thank GOD for the little ones....

ratrodbuild014.jpg

Your truck is coming along great. Where abouts is Cave Springs? Keep the pics comin'. I get a lots of help from my grandson, he's 10 now. Gonna be a gearhead like me an his Dad.....Here he is helping me with my 49 Fleetline..

Attachments

• Pictures-14.jpg
    Pictures-14.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 75
hey there river rat- its cave city, and it's near the big town of batesville (dirttrack race-town) or more general is north eastern corner of arkansas

it looks like ya got a good helper too,- i got 3 young-uns, (lots of help or headaches on the way) wouldn't take a gazillion dollars for 'em, but wouldn't want another one if ya gave me a gazillion dollars!!!!

goodlooking project you got there too --HRP

Looks god HRP. Nice progress. It's great to see the little guy get involved too. I think starting so young with cars and being interested in them my whole life has been good for me. It's kept me broke, but it has been good for me.

another update

well i didn't have any "church work" to do on monday so i went back to my shop to meditate on the rusty one.....

sometimes alot gets done in a small amount of time....monday was just the opposite....

cut a pattern and made floor pans from an old truck hood...
made room for a driveshaft-thought that it needed to be strong, since i was cutting thru the rear cab/floor structure....
and attempted a mock-up for steering.....just attempted nothing certain there yet!!!

Attachments

• rat rod build 004.jpg
    rat rod build 004.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 107
  • rat rod build 005.jpg
    rat rod build 005.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 92
  • rat rod build 006.jpg
    rat rod build 006.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 98
  • rat rod build 007.jpg
    rat rod build 007.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 117
you may have also noticed...

well after being a member here for quite some time, i finally broke down and read the instructions for posting pics/attachments.:eek:...and figured it out!!!
i knew there was an easier way than i was doin it..:p

that reminds me of a sayin my dad has.....

"when all else fails....read the directions":D

See ya Saturday Preacher. I wont be in the Bronco. Didnt get the lift on, and then went out today to put a tarp over the back glass ........... and noticed my brand new tires were stolen sometime monday while the wife and I was at work. But i guess thats the way life goes, filed a police report so we shall see.

Anyway, didnt mean to hack the thread. See ya saturday.

another update

got a little done on thursday- it seems as tho i always have something to hinder me...

was at dr friday w/ possible tick-born illness, or something like it...miserable thursnite,& friday
don't know when i'll feel like workin on it again......

Attachments

• rat rod build update 009.JPG
    rat rod build update 009.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 141
  • rat rod build update 010.JPG
    rat rod build update 010.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 110
  • rat rod build update 011.JPG
    rat rod build update 011.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 134
  • rat rod build update 012.JPG
    rat rod build update 012.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 132
  • rat rod build update 013.JPG
    rat rod build update 013.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
well, now the dr. says later this week before i'll even know for sure what it is i've got.....(right now they're leaning towards rocky mountain spotted fever)knocked out the whole weekend on the bed-never been so tired of t.v. in my life! didn't even "work" sunday:eek: all i know is, this crap is miserable, w/aches, pains, and no energy whatsoever.......so much for getting any progress on the 52 .....or anything else for that matter........:(

well, now the dr. says later this week before i'll even know for sure what it is i've got.....(right now they're leaning towards rocky mountain spotted fever)knocked out the whole weekend on the bed-never been so tired of t.v. in my life! didn't even "work" sunday:eek: all i know is, this crap is miserable, w/aches, pains, and no energy whatsoever.......so much for getting any progress on the 52 .....or anything else for that matter........:(

Get better first, then worry about the truck. The truck will be there when you are better.

...or use the downtime plan out the details (less headscratching later on).

actually got a chance to get a little done on the truck yesterday.....
now have the radiator support welded up, a radiator mounted, and working on getting some radius rods fabbed.....pics as soon as i remember camera
...all i like now is finishin' up!;)
*driveshaft
*wiring/lights
*brakes
*shifter
*radiator hoses&trans cooler lines
*fuel tank/line

the tick fever thing has let up a bit-seem to not have much energy yet (may not have ever had much:rolleyes:) but i'm doin alot better.....the oldest son came down w/bronchitis monday spent mon & wed staying w/him and the littlest one while my wife subbed @the school...been eventful around here!!!

anyway here's the promised update on photos...not alot of progress-but progress none-the-less;)

Attachments

• rat rod update 001.JPG
    rat rod update 001.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 96
  • rat rod update 002.JPG
    rat rod update 002.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 184
  • rat rod update 003.JPG
    rat rod update 003.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 168
  • rat rod update 004.JPG
    rat rod update 004.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 128
  • rat rod update 005.JPG
    rat rod update 005.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 140
Hey glad you are feeling better and hope you get the energy back soon. Great work on the build and look forward to more updates.

Take care.

HRP,

I LOVE pic number three in your most recent post....MY but that little truck has a FANTASTIC profile!:cool:x2!!

The pie-cut on the front framerails looks really slick, that totally sets off the stance and shape of the truck.

Are you contemplating a grille shell? Just curious what you have in mind...

Hope you (and yours) all start feeling more "up" soon-there's NOTHING worse than when illness makes the rounds in the house...:(

Regards,
Shea:)

Latest posts

Back