Nice Folks in Hot Rodding

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob w

Still crazy after all these years!
I was walking along at Back to the Fifties (11,600 1964 and earlier cars registered) with a bunch of family members when we stopped to look at a '34 Ford Coupe that looked like it had been built in the 70's. The owner, a guy even older than me, from Colorado, asked the 2 youngest grandkids if they had ever sat in a rumble seat. Then he showed them how to step on the rubber pads to get in. They were thrilled, to say the least.
2008_0621box0043.jpg

Later we passed a rat rod with the door open and a sign that said, "kids CAN sit in this car". Anybody else have stories of car owners doing nice things for kids at shows?

Very cool...

That's a great picture. :cool:
It's nice to see someone remember the young ones. '22

It was a awesome show, Everyone was really nice i thought, I looked for you down by the bathroom by the barns. Me and my dad were so tired we decided not go on saturday that we planned on doing. There were more rats than ever there and also alot of late 50's early 60's 4 door family cars that were basically stock but they put some cragers on or something like that. :)

I was at the local friday cruise in a couple of weeks ago. I was talking to a guy about my car and his 2 daughters( both under 5)were wanting to look inside my car so my wife picked them up and sat them in the car. The were just laughing and having a good time while we b.s and their mom took some pics of them in the car. They were suprised that we let sit in the car. I just told them that the car was built to drive and enjoy not just wipe off and look at like a diecast model. Finger prints wipe off, good memories are ther for ever. ;)
Tim

Had my wife's truck at a local cruise last nite & a couple of kids were standing on tip toes trying to see inside. Told them to jump up on the running board to have a look. They were all smiles as they pointed out the stuff inside to each other. Interiors nothing special but, they enjoyed looking.

Kids of all ages...

Those are some really great memories there.
The "sit in it" concept works for kids of all ages.
This is one of my favorite photos of my wife, in the Moon Eyes dragster.
She tried to act like it was not a big deal, but the big grin says it all. ;) '22

moondeb1rw2.jpg

I stopped at a gas station to use the restroom in Malibu. When I came out, there were a couple of tourists looking at my '31 coupe. I got in my car to leave when the husband asked me if he could take pictures of my car (husband and wife from Germany). I said, sure. After a few pictures, I told them I would take pictures of them in my car. You shoulda seen the grin, these people had, from ear to ear.

Me and my friend were invited to an invitation only show on the Redondo Beach Pier. I took my '32 3 window and my buddy took his full fendered '34 5 window. After we parked, we went for breakfast. No one else would leave their cars. When we came back, there was a young couple from Japan. The wife was standing next to my friends '34 while her husband took pictures. My friend opened the driver's door and told the young lady she could sit in the car. They were so thrilled. After the photos, they kept bowing and thanking him. Needless to say, the following year, he was not invited to the show. Turns out, the organizer of the show didn't like my friend allowing people to sit in a "show car".

Involving spectators is one of my favorite aspects of this hobby. I love to let folks, especally kids, sit in my coupe. I enjoy taking photos for their memorys, too. A late buddy of mine used to put a sign on his 34 roadster at car shows. It read "Touch me, feel me, I am here for a good time". The crowning moment of his sign was when a young, scantily clad beauty came up. See looked at the car, then read the sign aloud. I still don't know if she was repeating the signs' message or making us an offer.

I used to change my sons diaper in the back of our 56 Chevy trunk and let him and his friends play in there when the heat got bad (with it OPEN of course)

Cars are meant to be enjoyed....:)

when i was a young kid i had a Camaro and i never let ANYONE drive it, not even my old man, now i let EVERYONE drive my Impala, i get a kick outa the smiles on their faces.........

I'm glad this thread was started. It's nice to hear positive stories instead of stories about jerks at car shows. A big "thumbs up" to all those who do something extra for a kid at a car show.

Count me in on this one, I'm always happy to let people sit in my car especially kids, they are the future of our hobby and if we make them feel unwelcome they will not get involved.

The biggest giggle I get is letting them hit the switch for the musical air horns or on this car the Siren! Smile fromear to ear does not cover it :D:D:D

When I was younger, my favorite part about looking at cool cars was watching them drvie down the road. It still makes me smile when I see them driving.

Latest posts

Back