Northern Performance, Pennsburg.PA

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hi-roller

Avoid these crooks.

They were supposed to cook a set of J heads, a 360 block and crank, and a few other misc. items. A month passes and no reply so we call. The anwer we get is "Well one of the heads has a crack in it so im just going to throw it out" :mad: Any mopar guy know that for small blocks, X heads are top, then J heads, then 302 castings. And on top of it, J heads can be turned into X heads by changing out the valves to the larger 2.02 and 1.96(?) ones. YOU DONT JUST THROW OUT THOSE HEADS. So we go up to take a look at what was wrong, he aptly shows us the crack and says that he can toss it if we want... uh NO. The "crack" was a scratch in the one chamber. Nothing serious at all. So we told him to finish cleaning the heads and give us all our stuff back. Proceeds to get: the crank, the pistons, the valves, and springs. My dad is like, "Wheres the block???" The owner says, "I have to look for it, it could take a while. Just ccome back later." So to prevent from loosing it, my dad leaves.

Another month passes and no call from Northern to say they found it.:eek:

So we head up again only to be disapointed once more. He tells us he "lost" the block. HOW DO YOU LOOSE A 300 POUND CHUNK OF METAL? It was a thick walled '71 block that can be bored out evn more than the 360s.

To make a long story short its now 4 years later and he still has our block.. and money.

Rant over
Preston

Three words for you......... SMALL CLAIMS COURT. :) The treatment you have been getting is really not professional or fair. If they are that unorganized, can you imagine what tolerances they hold a finished machine job to? :eek:

Courts generally consider that a shop like this should have superior knowledge and hold them to a higher standard than the average guy. I would send them a certified letter demanding all your parts back within 30 days, and the return of your money, or that you intend on suing them. If you have a friendly Attorney, a letter from a Lawyer does wonders sometimes. But small claims court is very cheap, and if you have all your documentation you should have no problem prevailing in court.

Don't let them get away with this nonsense any longer.

Don

Well here's the problem Don, its been too long. You only get a certain amount of time to file a complaint in small claims court, I believe its about one full year. Plus we have too much going on right now to devote any time to it:(.

Thanks for the advice tho
Preston

Uh, I'm not sure about that time thing. I watch a lot of shows like Peoples Court, Judge Judy, etc. and there are a lot of cases where something happened a few years ago and the case is being tried. It could also be that the clock starts ticking at your last contact with them.

I'm an old bill collector, and I just would go after them for the principle of the thing. As for the time, it will only take a day out of your life, and chances are they won't appear............instant win for you. Or maybe the threat of going to court will shake them up.

You just can't let people like this get away with this kind of stuff, that is why they continue to do it. I would take 15 minutes and send a certified letter demanding your money and parts back, or you will take them to court. You might be surprised..............I used to get very good results when they had to sign for something and saw I wasn't going away.

It's your money, but it makes me mad that people like this stay in business.

Don

The statue of limitations in Pennsylvania is one full year to take it to small claims court:mad:.

Those shows like judge alex or judge judy have the plaintiff and defendant mutualy agree on coming to the show, which is more or less a arbitrary court, meaning it has no true connection to the US legal system other than the fact that judgements can be issued. Plus they also have a limit on just how far back the incident can happen. Usually within 2 years of the date they sign up to be on the show. Then the producers can take a good while to choose them too, making appear as if the incident happened 4 and 5 years ago.:cool:

Not to get side tracked but where are you located? I'm in quakertown andthere is a nice little shop here in town on california road. They do custom bikes and rats. There name is twised customs.

Uh, I'm not sure about that time thing. I watch a lot of shows like Peoples Court, Judge Judy,

Don

I watch tv too. Rambo, terminator, dirty harry.

Dont let them get away with it.

I think Don is right about the time clock starts when you last had contact with them. Sounds like they admit, recently, they owe you.

Clock still running

Based on my experience in the auto business (20 years in CA) if you have an open ticket or work order then the issue is still alive. If they can show that you have paid and accepted thier goods or services, then I can understand the year from date of receipt.

I agree a certified letter, with a cc to your attorney (even if he doesn't actually exist) is well worth the effort.

- Mike

gone

Man, guys like that just torque my crank!

The bad news is your block is long gone-either in this crooks' own hot rod, or in one of his "buddies". You'll never see that one again, but definitely take everyone else's advice and try to get some compensation for it.

Recommendation: Everyone should put some personalized stamp at an obscure location on any part that is to be crack checked, etc at a machine shop. This will ensure that you get your parts back, or if you suspect someone else has them, you have a way to prove they are yours...also photograph the part with the stamp before leaving them somewhere. Nothing is foolproof, but something is better than nothing.

Latest posts

Back