'Nuther Tudor A question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrashTestDummy

You guys who've built A Model Tudors (or who are planning too), what did you use for a fuel tank, where did you mount it, and do you smoke? :D

I was planning to pick up an aluminum fuel cell at the swap meet (like the RCI and/or Summit ones) and install it above the rear axle (inside the cab). But since I smoke, I'm rethinking the idea. What have you guys done (or are planning to do)?

Fred B.

Depends on the style of the finished build. If it is a channeled car the only option is in the back seat or using the original tank in the cowl. If it is an unchanneled car, one option is to mount a 32 Ford tank that goes between the rear rails. Takes some fabrication to build rails to hold it, but it works.

As long as you run the vent from the tank to the outside of the car and the filler is either also out the car or has a sealed cap, you are probably ok. Cross ventilation is helpful too, like open/missing windows.

Don

Thanks a lot, Don! You da man!

Right now I do intend to channel, so I guess I was on the right track with the interior mounting. And if I buy a new fuel cell, I suppose I could get someone to weld on a filler tube. Doubt I could find anyone willing to weld on a used cell ;)

I'd actually like to have a 20-22 gallon cell, but may have to settle for something smaller. I guess I could also make a steel cover for the fuel cell and sort of enclose it as long is it's properly vented, huh? 'Course if I'm gonna do that I guess I could use just about any late model tank and straps, huh?

As for the windows... haven't decided yet but I'll probably just go with windshield and rear window. Or perhaps those two with rear side windows also. Hell, I haven't even decided whether or not to put a roof on the thing. LOL!

Hmmm... I'm gonna have to think about this some more... I know I'd like to have a sending unit and dash-mounted fuel level gauge too... hmmm...

Fred B.

I have a 13 gallon round tube type tank mounted under the floor , just behind and above the differential . I used an external fill neck with a tube connected to the tank . It's out of sight and smell , it works great .

I have a 13 gallon round tube type tank mounted under the floor , just behind and above the differential . I used an external fill neck with a tube connected to the tank . It's out of sight and smell , it works great .

Gregster, I just checked your thread... awesome Tudor, brother! What kind of rear end you got in that thing? Custom frame?

Fred B.

One tank you might want to consider is a marine fuel tank (boat). I have one in the rear of my 27, it is an 11 gallon tank (they come in all sizes), and it is made of aluminum. These tanks feature a fill neck that accepts a 1.5 inch fuel fill hose (standard marine size), a 5/8 nipple that you can use as a vent to get the fumes outside the body, and a sender for the fuel gauge. These tanks come in all different gallonages, as well as all different dimensions.

You can see the one on my 27 in the picture below. If you have a marine surplus place near you, or a marine discount store, they usually have them or can order them. You might want to rethink that 20-22 size because not only is one that size very large, but it also puts about 170 lbs back there. My 27 and my 23 are only 11 gallons each, and that works out pretty well, even on long trips.

Oh, the tank on my 27 is now over 20 years old, and it was in perfect condition to reuse on my rebuild of the car, so they do last a long time.

Don

052.jpg

One tank you might want to consider is a marine fuel tank (boat).

You can see the one on my 27 in the picture below.

Don

Another excellent idea! Plenty of boats places (dealers and salvage) around here, so I'll have to check that out! So your tank (and battery) are actually in the bed area on the T?

Fred B.

Latest posts

Back