OEM '29 A Model front axle replacement options?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrashTestDummy

Before I spend money I don't have acquiring the perches, shackles, and front spring that's missing on my '29 Tudor Sedan, should I look for a newer ('37-'48) Ford axle so I can used the Speedway disc brake kit? It doesn't look like anyone offers the kit for '29 era axles, is that because the spindles (or axles) aren't strong enough? Do I need just the axle and spindles, or will I need the newer spring, perches and hardware along with it?

Since my donor rear is disc brake equipped, I suppose I should go for disc front too. The Speedway kit looks reasonable, but I'll have to acquire a suitable axle first. Any specifics I should be aware of?

Fred B.

Ford axles from 28-48 will all accept the same spindles, so what you need to do is use your model a axle and spring with 37-48 spindles and then you can use the Speedway brake kit. The end dimensions are identical on all from 28-48, so just get the spindles and the appropriate kingpin set (37-41 is the same, 42-48 is the same for the kingpins)

The model a axle is actually a little more desirable than the 46-48 axles as the wishbones are out near the wheel on those and it puts them too close to the tires when you split them. You can get tire rub on turns with the later axles.

Don

Freakin' A, Don! You are da man! Thank you so much for taking the time to answer this rookie's questions. I'm certain you have more entertaining things to do, but I wanna make sure you know how much I appreciate your help! You (and others) are a testament to this site's success and an honor to rat rodding/hot rodding in general! Thanks!

Fred B.

Latest posts

Back