Oh what to do ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcdvw66

Heres my situation. I have a great job working for a guy that takes good care of his employees, we get paid well, have insurance, 401k, clean shop, no financial issues, and never work weekends, unless we are racing (3-4 times a year). Problem is that my job is the ONLY reason I live where I do. I really really do not like where I live. My freinds, family and longtime girlfreind live 280 miles away. So I am making a 560 mile round trip nearly every weekend, wich is not only costly but wastes about 10 hours driving each weekend. I have been doing this for 3 years and I think I'm done with it. I have become increasingly unhappy at work. So i have an oppotunity to take a similar job in the area I want to be, but it pays less, and Id work more hours. Of course there are other factors here, but I dont want to get too detailed and Im sure it may come off as just whining. But just looking for opinions.:confused:

Sounds like you are answering your own question a little. If you are becoming unhappy at work and your social life sucks b/c of work then maybe the job isn't so great.

I say take the other job in the short term in order to get to where you want to be. Once settled, maybe something else will come up that pays more.

Thats just me though. To me, location is huge. I have to be an area where I can find fun stuff to do and cool people.

Of course I know many folks at work that will drag thier poor families to just about any BFE dump anywhere in the world in order to take an assignment. But those people tend to have zero social life so I guess it doesn't matter to them.

I find that life is what you make of it. My last job, I was never afraid to move. I looked forward to meeting new people and being in a different environment. If I hadn't moved, I would never have met my wife. As long as I had enough money to live on, I was happy. On the other hand, seeing family for special occasions has never been a problem for me. When it came to friends, I always found new ones and I'm quite the hermit. The friends I had in the past, we've stayed in touch by e-mail.

Will you like living in the other area better ? Not talking about being near the GF and other people, but I mean will YOU like the area better ? A person has to like the area where they live for a lot of factors.

Secondly, even though the new job pays less you will not be spending the money to travel those 500 miles every weekend, plus the time and wear and tear on your car. So you might be better off in the long run.

There is more to life than work.......our jobs simply provide a means to survive. Being happy with your life situation is paramount. If you think you would be happier being near the GF full time, that will play heavily into the decision. How about your present home, can you break the lease without getting a heavy penalty ?

The fact you have another job lined up already is a huge plus. It makes the transistion so much easier than if you have to move and then start looking for work. How soon do they want you to start at the new job ? Reason I ask is it might help to put away a few paychecks from the old job first to tide you over......moving is expensive and there will be a few weeks when you are waiting for the first paycheck from the new employer.

I'm like GG, I was never afraid to pack up and try a new area. Sometimes it worked out ok and sometimes it was a mistake, but at least I tried. I say go with your heart and make the move and see how it works out. If the people you work for now are as nice as you say they will understand completely and if you leave on good terms there is always the possibility of going back if you need to. Give them plenty of notice and make it work on their schedule so they are supportive of you leaving.

Good luck,

Don

Thanks for the input so far, you guys are telling me exactly what I'm already feeling. I'm not afraid to move, I'v lived in four different states and it's actually been fairly easy making it work out. This would be a really easy move since I could do a little at a time and it would be going to Detroit, my home town. I know people think a lot of things about Detroit but it's a great city, especially for a car guy. My lease expires here in June and that is when they would like me there to start so no conflict with that. I guess my only fear is giving up a secure feeling at my current job and taking on the risk of a new place. Again thanks for the advise.

about that Job - "work to live, dont live to work"

when you make the list of God, family, friends, dinners with family, value of going to bed at the same time in the same bed, waking up together, breakfast with eachother, and so on and so on........

As important as work is to pay the bills and such, it's around seventeenth on the list. The ease and simplicity of life will be noticed and valued once you move just be sure to explain to yourself, your family, your employers and others why your moving. I would bet that if you explained to your current boss why you want to go and what he's created in the value of your aspects of your workplace, he'll be appreciative of your time and understand your going.

- A handfull of years ago, I gave up living abroad and raking in the money and life style for the 1950's, Ozzy & Harriet, nuclear family, Leave it to Beaver life for being the "family man" and don't look back. I'd recommend watching Nicolas Cage's movie Familyman.

Blow off your friends, dump your girlfriend, and disown your family. You don't need family holding you back and you can find new, better friends. And who needs a girlfriend tying you down anyhow?

(I'm not very good at this advice giving stuff. [ddd )

Weigh the options, trust your feelings and go where you're happy.....money and security should come in last with your decision making...and finally, don't listen to Sam fear!:D

My BIL an sister just moved bout 6 hours closer to home. Family makes a big difference to many.

I gave up a lot of business advancements over the years to be more of a family guy and I have never regretted that choice one bit. I know a lot of guys who live for their job and put that first, but it was more important for me to have my Sons know I was there for them at all times.

It looks like you are starting to make the right decision.......let us know how it goes.

Don

Blow off your friends, dump your girlfriend, and disown your family. You don't need family holding you back and you can find new, better friends. And who needs a girlfriend tying you down anyhow?

(I'm not very good at this advice giving stuff. [ddd )

Yeah, thats a great idea! Who needs other people messing up your life, all I need is myself, my old truck and my dog.....oh wait I dont have a dog. Anybody wanna trade some rusty car parts for an old dog?

I get your humor Sam Fear, and I appreciate all of the comments. I know what I need to do. There may be a great job opportunity for any of you located in Northern Michigan soon.

Latest posts

Back