Oil Pan gasket (thick or thin) for sbc

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirty30

Hey all, may be a stupid question but my oil pan gasket is leaking on my 283 and i want to replace the chrome stell pan with a cast aluminum pan that clearly states ("use early thin front seal only") after digging into my motor and removing the old gasket I found that it was using the thicker front gasket. I know the seal "pocket" is a creating of the timing cover and not necessarily the engine. I bought a 1pc. thin style gasket for this pan...do I now need to replace the timing cover to accomodate a "thin" gasket or replace the new pan that accomodates the thick front seal........do all timing covers work with either thick or thin gasket? Help.........

I think the timing covers are all the same. The difference is in the pans. That being said, I have an aluminum cover on a sbc and it wants a front seal thicker that a thin one and thinner than a thick one.

Bob , have you been tuning the engine with the garage door closed again.............................................:D

Latest posts

Back