Oil Pressure....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamnflorida

I wouldn't necessarily say this is a problem, but I wonder why its so high..[S this is at idle at first start up.I just changed the pan,oil pump and oil and this is the reading on the gauge...Maybe its the new HV oil pump? Its a chevy 350 btw.

11-1.jpg

Tight tolerances and tight HV pump, possibly over full of oil? My only real concern with that kind of pressure would be the oil all getting to the valve covers very quick and not draining back down to the pan fast enough...is the gauge correct?

I wouldn't trust it if its an electric gauge.... had one on a corvette that read as high as yours. Installed a mechanical gauge and found it to be more realistic....25 lbs at an idle instead of 60....

The 350 Chev I had in my 23 would go to 75 on the interstate and idle at 60 psi. My 331 Ford goes to about 65 going down the road and idles at 50 psi. Those are with stock pumps.

As mentioned, get one of those $ 15 mechanical gauges at Autozone that are made to go in the dash and screw it into the spot where your sender goes. They have 1/8 npt threads and some hardware store brass 1/8 pipe pieces will adapt it to the hole in the block. That will tell you how accurate your dash gauge is. Electric dash gauges are notoriously inaccurate, especially temp gauges, but oil pressure gauges too.

Don

Yeah, what the guys said, it might be the electric guage. An electric gauge is good for nothing but electricity. Amps or volts. Check it with a mechanical guage.

That being said, you might still have high pressure. HV pumps will increase pressure slightly. Which pump have you got? I wonder if you got a High Volume/High Pressure pump, or possibly just a High Pressure piece, that's been known to happen. :eek:

seems to me that if the gauge showed something different before the work was done, then something in the work and/or parts is the prob. Concentrate on everything new since the gauge was OK before. ;)

it is a mechanical gauge. And yes,it used to read around 55 or so before i did the change. I am using 20x50 oil because thats what i used to run and it is not over filled..lol.. I haven't been able to run it long being i dont have a belt for the water pump yet. I just want to start it to check everything after i changed everything, and that was a significant increase in pressure from the changes i made...

HV pumps will show bout that until engine gets warmed up then should go to around 20 to 30 idle and 60 runnin.
Also what rpm does this baby idle at?

Jim

Get that belt on and see what it drops to when the engine warms up. How many miles on the motor? Why did you change the pump and pan? What is the application (race car, street car, occasional cruiser)? I'm just looking for more clues. With that 20w50 it may settle down when hot. Is it possible it used to be that high on initial start-up?

With 20W50 that would be about what I would expect oil pressure to be, with a good (tight) engine!! When warmed up it should drop to about 40 to 50 lbs.
You may have some varience in guages, but seems about right to me!! The HV pump should make little if any difference in pressure! But!! are you sure it's HV and not HP??

HV pumps will show bout that until engine gets warmed up then should go to around 20 to 30 idle and 60 runnin.
Also what rpm does this baby idle at?

Jim

well,i dont have a tach hooked up at the moment..havent got that far yet.lol. i would say around 1500 or so...but as soon as i can find out,i will post up

Get that belt on and see what it drops to when the engine warms up. How many miles on the motor? Why did you change the pump and pan? What is the application (race car, street car, occasional cruiser)? I'm just looking for more clues. With that 20w50 it may settle down when hot. Is it possible it used to be that high on initial start-up?

yea,i am hoping to get the water pump hooked up soon,i am having some alternator alignment issues right now..i changed the pan because i was having some problems with my oil pressure hitting zero when i hit the brakes,so i thought it was because it was a stock pan with no "trap door" or deep sump to keep the oil from sloshing to the front..also,due to the front end being lower,i thought that contributed to it as well..So i bought a 7qt deep sump,and when i was trying to put the pickup tube in the oil pump,the oil pump broke,so i changed that out as well..its a typical 350,nothing too special and it has around 12k miles on it now.It used to be around 55-60 on initial start up before.

With 20W50 that would be about what I would expect oil pressure to be, with a good (tight) engine!! When warmed up it should drop to about 40 to 50 lbs.
You may have some varience in guages, but seems about right to me!! The HV pump should make little if any difference in pressure! But!! are you sure it's HV and not HP??

Yea,it was just a melling hv from advance auto parts...nothing special. As soon as i can get the belt on,i will drive it around a little bit and see where it goes.I will be sure to post back up.

Thanks fellas :)

Latest posts

Back