Ok,here's the deal

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacksheep

Ok, I just traded my 1200 sporty project for this 48 Ford truck. I love everything about it except one thing..... the floor is not deep enough. You will see a photo below where the frame enters the cab. It goes straight through the cab and the floor is on top of the frame. In other words, the frame is not z'd . All I want to do is to for now is to notch the frame sloping from front to back , for just enough clearance to mount two bomber seats in there , and so that I can see through the windshield without getting a crick in my neck. If I notch it, I will bolt a brace below the frame to make up for the 4" I'm cutting out. Then, later next Summer or this Winter I will remove the cab and go ahead and z the frame. I don't lack but about 3" to be able to see clearly through the windshield. Any other ideas ?

48ford.jpg

Here's another angle. I love the look of this truck, because it has the jalopy look to it. But, you can see how the frame goes through the cab instead of offsetting. And, the black piece of sheet metal behind the radiator has got to go.

Copy2ofIMAG0075-1.jpg

can you post a pic with the door open? its hard to tell how high the floor is up without something to compair it to.

can you post a pic with the door open? its hard to tell how high the floor is up without something to compair it to.

I will once I get the truck down here. But, you can see how high the frame is by the photo. And the cab floor is right on top of that. Yes, I thought I made a pretty good trade too. My main bike is a Road King, and the sporty was just a bar hopper anyway.

That's why people Z the frame, the truck also sits high up in the front. I would be tempted to lower the front & take some of the channel out.

ISore

Yeah, like I said, I 'm gonna do a new frame later. But, I'm thinkin my idea may be a temporary solution for the Summer, don't you think? Thanks for all replies.

i don't know on a temporary fix, but i would suggest you look at my build thread, i used the original frame, like the one your truck is setting on, and reworked everything to use the stock cab/floor height...
look for "next project" by hotrod preacher
it'll be back a few pages --i did it last year

BTW i really like the overall look of your truck--very similar to my goal...

i don't know on a temporary fix, but i would suggest you look at my build thread, i used the original frame, like the one your truck is setting on, and reworked everything to use the stock cab/floor height...
look for "next project" by hotrod preacher
it'll be back a few pages --i did it last year

BTW i really like the overall look of your truck--very similar to my goal...

One thing I do plan on doing is to move the front axle back about 12 ". Not sure about lowering it more than what it is. I did notice that you welded on the stock frame. I just assumed that welding on frames would crack around the weld. But, that may be on the newer style frames I'm thinking of. I have a plan, and will share once I get the truck down here. Thanks for the link to your build. It did give me soem ideas.

you can pretty much weld on any frame whether it be new or old. there are some 08 and newer frame that i know you have to use special procedures on. when i left the body shop i worked at to open my shop we had a car that some kind of hardened frame, out spot weld drills didnt do anything to it. i cant remember what it was....

welding to that frame would be fine. i build and modify frames on a daily basis and have never had and problems. just make sure you are a competent welder/ fabricator before you go at and all will be good

old rigs like that are pretty much safe to weld on--provided they aren't rusted too bad from sitting on the ground ....
i really felt my frame was as safe as a 2x3 tube frame--who knows for sure though..

Latest posts

Back