ok what the heck do i do now? Title problem

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyRunnin_on_Bowtie

so i have a 48 cab with an original vin plate. the ohio bmv isnt being any help at all. they ran the number and said it does not come back unless the vehicle has been titled in the last 15-20 yrs. i cant file for a lost title because it would have to be mine to loose in the first place. i cant put the body on an s10 frame an title it as such....(they will tow it and i probably would never get it back).
Sooooo what now....sell this cab for parts and look for a titled body?
im sick of the bmv's b.s. and id rather not dump this money in this project if i cant drive it in the end ya know??? :(

Don't know if Ohio is the same but here in Va we can apply for an abandon vehicle title. I did it online thru the DMV website. Cost $30 and took 90 days for the process to be complete. It is designed for garages to get a title so they can auction the vehicle for the unpaid bill but I got the title in my name and just kepit and put it on the road...good luck.

Doesn't Ohio have an assembled vehicle title?

In Michigan you need to document where all the parts came from and the dollar amount of what you spent to build it.... (got to get those tax moneys)the SOS, (secretary of state (DMV)) then issues you a new Vehicle number and title for an assembled vehicle...... Not sure if Ohio is that cooperative.... just a thought.....

Don't know if Ohio is the same but here in Va we can apply for an abandon vehicle title. I did it online thru the DMV website. Cost $30 and took 90 days for the process to be complete. It is designed for garages to get a title so they can auction the vehicle for the unpaid bill but I got the title in my name and just kepit and put it on the road...good luck.

Oklahoma does the same thing cost me about $75.00

Ohio is a commie state! Trust me if you do not have paperwork for every friggin part...ie. the title to the vehicle the engine came from, the title to the frame, the title for the body....well they will crush it. The inspector in Seville on 224 is quite proud of that and has pictures to prove it.....however there are other ways of getting a title.

I feel your pain. You need to find someone in your state that has already done it. Each state is different.

Here in Pa they do not even what to talk to you if you do not have the title or a bill of sale from a state that does not issue titles. Unless you go for a mechanic's lean.

to bad your not in alabama, nothing 74 are older has a title. move to alabama for about 30 days then go back to ohio.

to bad your not in alabama, nothing 74 are older has a title. move to alabama for about 30 days then go back to ohio.

Sounds good business idea for you. Guys can send you their projects and you can "Bama-ize" the titles for them. I'm outta work if you need a sales & opperations guy, I'm here for you :D

Yep, Bama is the place to be....the vin tag on my 41 was unreadable...the lady told me to make one up and bring a bill of sale for that VIN and she would get the title. I now have a 41 with the VIN #FPT19413904SPD, thats Ford Panel Truck, 1941, 390 engine and 4 speed. Later Whit PS if ya don't get it resolved PM me and I'll help ya with it, if you can do better having an out of state title

They are trying in you state

Pro-Hobbyist Street Rod and Custom Vehicle Bill to be Considered by Committee on Wed., Feb. 24

After several postponements, the hearing on SEMA model legislation (H.B. 199) that would create a vehicle registration and titling classification for street rods and custom vehicles and provide for special license plates for these vehicles has again been rescheduled. The bill will now be considered by the Ohio House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee on Wednesday, Feb. 24. H.B. 199 defines a street rod as an altered vehicle manufactured before 1949 and a custom as an altered vehicle at least 25 years old and manufactured after 1948. The bill allows kit cars and replica vehicles to be assigned a certificate of title bearing the same model year designation that the body of the vehicle was constructed to resemble. The sponsor of the bill, Rep. Kenny Yuko, is still attempting to identify Ohio hobbyists or businesses that would like to appear at the hearing to testify in favor of the bill. If you would be interested in testifying, please contact me immediately at [email protected]

For Those Unable to Testify, We Urge You to Contact All Members of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee (List Attached Below) Immediately to Request Their Support for H.B. 199

For those interested in attending the hearing to voice support, the committee will meet on Wed., Feb. 24 at the following address and time:

State House
1 Capitol Square, Room 017
Columbus, Ohio
10:30 AM

• H.B. 199 provides specific registration/titling classes and license plates for street rods and customs.

• H.B. 199 includes street rods and customs (including replicas) in the historical motor vehicle definition for the purpose of holding these vehicles only to the equipment standards specified by law during the model year listed on the title of the vehicle.

• H.B. 199 provides that a replica vehicle can be assigned the same model year designation as the production vehicle it was constructed to resemble.

• H.B. 199 permits street rods and custom vehicles to display blue dot taillights.

Ohio House Transportation and Infrastructure

Representative Robert Hagan – Chair
Phone: 614/466-9435
Fax: 614/719-3960
Email: [email protected]

Representative Dale Mallory
Phone: 614/466-1645
Fax: 614/719-3586

Representative Linda Bolon
Phone: 614/466-8022
Fax: 614/719-6971

Representative John Patrick Carney
Phone: 614/466-2473
Fax: 614/719-6961

Representative John Domenick
Phone: 614/466-3735
Fax: 614/719-6995

Representative Mike Foley
Phone: 614/466-3350
Fax: 614/719-3910

Representative Kenny Yuko
Phone: 614/466-8012
Fax: 614/719-0007

Representative Courtney Eric Combs
Phone: 614/644-6721
Fax: 614/719-6954

Representative Troy Balderson
Phone: 614/644-6014
Fax: 614/719-6994

Representative Jeffrey McClain
Phone: 614/644-6265
Fax: 614/719-6982

Representative Margaret Ruhl
Phone: 614/466-1431
Fax: 614/719-6990

Representative Joe Uecker
Phone: 614/466-8134
Fax: 614/719-3966

Representative James Zehringer
Phone: 614/466-6344
Fax: 614/719-3977

Please e-mail a copy of your letters to Steve McDonald at [email protected]

legal offense

I thought up a legal argument but since my state has a method for getting a title I haven't had to use it...
For starters the law isn't just code regulation and statute...it is also procedure, logic, time honored process , and so much more...
If a state allows for motor vehicles to be operated on a public highway
and if your motor vehicle meets dot standards for operation
and if the state requires the vehicle to be registered
and that registration requires title
The state MUST establish a lawful method for you to acquire title to your vehicle.

You can petition the court to assign ownership. the court has the highest authority to do this.
you can also sue for title if your vehicle meets standards for title and operation on a public highway, but you lack the paper trail.

Without any special rules governing title and deed, it is the bill of sale that is the principle instument that transfer's ownership.
All commerce is exercised under contract. verbal or written...
There must be an offer and an acceptance, something offered and something received in exchange.
The bill of sale is a brief but formal contract evidencing transfer of ownership.
Deeds and Titles are more strongly certified instruments (higher claim of ownership) than the BOS but still require a bill of sale accompany them.

So my legal ofensive would be this...
build this paper trail
#1 proof of possession
#2 proof of rights to possession (bos, deed,title, contract, etc)
#3 proof of vested interest (money paid for it, storage, work done on the vehicle, parts put into it)
#4 proof there is no lawful method to obtain proof of ownership or title...or...
#5 proof that if there is a process you have complied as it requires and have exhausted that process without satisfaction.
#6 have a lawyer draft your case and petition it to the court for review.

To assign or witness to ownership the court is going to require you can show possession and show some evidence of a right to posses and evidence of ownership like a bos or reciept or a notarized declaration.
Then your going to have to establish there is no challenge to your ownership by anyone with a higher claim and after that the court should be clear to order for a title in your name.
Never tried it...just saying...

Now in Nebraska If I have enough paper to show where I got it or where I got most of it and I post bond for 1.5 times the value of the car, I can get a bonded title that after 3 years if no challenge is raised against my ownership of that vehicle i can apply for an unclouded title and get my bond back.
basically it's title insurance to settle any claim that may arise after they issue title.

If you are found to be in violation of a law as a necessity of performing a lawful act...exigency is the legal defense...and it better be a necessity and the only way...

For example...
I'm in Pittsburgh delivering mail in a 53' trailer pulled by a full sized road tractor in an old part of downtown...
I have to drive into the far left oncoming lane to make a right turn into the other far left oncoming lane to get around the corner...
basically taking up the entire street both ways with the trailer tires in the far right lane barely missing the curb.

Are there laws against driving in the oncoming lane? YES
Is there any written statute or regulation that allows me to drive in the oncoming lane for any reason? NO
Have I done something illegal? NO
WHY?
It is legal for that vehicle to be on that street
There is no other way to get there
It is legal to be there
There is a bona-fide reason for going there
therefore if there is no way to get around that corner legally but it is legal for that vehicle to be there and go where it is going... the law against driving in the other lane cannot prevent you from carrying out your lawful purpose and breaking that law does not count under the rules of exigency.

I'm most probably not going to get a ticket for it if I do it safe and slowly.
I'm not destroying property by running over the curb nor putting pedestrians on the sidewalk in danger...it's all about highest and best argument and if I present that argument in my defense if I were to get ticketed in that situation it's most probable that the prosecutor would not want to waste resources on a case destined to fail and will chose to drop the charge.

I've saved my license many times arguing a case before the court date and presenting the argument to the prosecutor and if that fails sometimes asking the judge by certified mail to review the case in advance of the court date with a statement of "not guilty" and agreeing to abide by the determination of the court.

It helps if you send them a check in the amount of the fine with a plea of not guilty and a request they review your argument and hopefully drop the charge. They get a lot of people just trying to get out of a fine and it helps if they understand your case isn't about the money...that it's about the law and right and wrong.
I don't always win. sometimes I really did do wrong but I do much better sitting on their side of the table speaking their language instead of getting mad and letting the system play out like I used to.
The government gets a bad rap for all the special interest and the bad things it does I know, but for dealing with the average public servant
Think honest and right...
Think proving no fraud...
Think Highest and best use or claim....
Think resolution and closure...
That's how they think.

Legally there is no such thing as a catch-22 under the law and the citizen is due the benefit of the argument over the argument of the state...because it is the state that serves the citizen, not the other way around... One of the principle legal differences between America and the rest of the world and an example of why American law is in many ways incompatible with the laws of other nations.

Latest posts

Back