Old Red

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streetmod

My Dad gave me my Grandpa's old 57 F100 that we call Old Red. I have yet to pull the truck out so I can get a better look at it ,but so far the body looks in pretty fair shape. The only real rust I see off hand is in the fron fenders. The glass is all there, cracked, but all there so the inside is in pretty good shape. I have never worked with anything that has been sitting so long, (about 25 years) so does anyone have any tips on where to start or things to look for? It has a 292 in it now, I was planning on dropping a 350 chevy in it for now until I can rebuild the 292. I want to leave the suspension pretty much stock with the exception of lowering it, but would like to upgrade the brakes to disc up front. Are parts pretty easy to find for these old f100s? Any helpful info would be aprestiated. I'll post some better pics when I get the truck pulled out and cleaned up a bit.

Attachments

• old red 006.jpg
    old red 006.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 65
  • old red 004.jpg
    old red 004.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 41
  • old red 005.jpg
    old red 005.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 41
  • old red 007.jpg
    old red 007.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 43
Congrats. It's neat to have a vehicle that's been in the family for generations. I would start by inspecting everything like rubber parts and anything that was moving or required lubrication and then refurbish or replace what needs attention there first.

Check here for parts. Others may have better suggestions.
http://www.dennis-carpenter.com/

love those 57 ford trucks! looks like a good one to work with, too!

i've always used the philosophy of get it runnin'...and BEFORE driving it get it stoppin':D...of couse with your head under it working on brakes the tie rods, u joints etc. will "show themselves" if good or bad....

keep us posted...we'll try to keep ya encouraged:cool:

www.classicperform.com

They "should" have a front disc brake kit to keep you happy. DON'T forget to upgrade the master cylinder to one compatible with a disc/drum setup, as well as the correct proportioning valve.

Is the engine siezed? If not...why not try and get it running and use it?:cool:

That thing would look totally cool lowered just a bit and sitting on some fat-ass blackwall tires.

When it comes to stock replacement parts and consumables, don't forget to check with your local NAPA store, they should also be able to get you almost anything you need-shocks, gaskets, brake and tune-up stuff, etc.

Good luck with your build and congrats on keeping Gramps' truck in the family!:D

Regards,
Shea:)

edit: I just checked their website and they only list disc brake kits up to '56 F-100...WTF!?! I think they may be interchangeable but I'm not 100% sure...

Last edited:
Think I'm gonna keep my eye on this. I'd like to hear how she is underneath; i.e.: Brakes, lines, suspension, ...... always good to hear about someone who inherits a family heirloom and has plans to make it roadworthy again.

Well I havent been able to pull the truck out yet. I love you. First we cant get any rain now It wont dry up long enough to do anything. But my planning and thinking stage. Has any one ever put a newer frame under one of these? I'm wondering what might be the best fit.

That will be a real nice project!!!!!

Once you get her out...pressure wash the underside..MAy not be much of a frame left from the way it looks "sunk" into the ground, but you never know! P picked up a 69 Charger years back that was sunk in the ground for 10 years...ended up parting it out due to nothing left on the underside!

Body looks like it is in decent shape, So that good... What worries me is all that moisture from years sitting out there may have really done some underbody damage.....just be prepared and keep us updated!

Nice truck! Love the patina - DON"T PAINT IT!! - SEAL IT WITH A RUST CONVERTER / PRIMER! I can tell what to use if your interested? Theres too much flat black in the world already. As for the frame - don't know that I'd swap it out. I know several guys who used Plymouth Volare front ends on their Fords like yours. The Volare suspension fits right up into where the stock Ford front end mounts. It really gives the truck a cool raked stance and the handling is supposed to be fantastic.

Just my suggestions.

Thunder

I've got a 63. A few online catalogs to check out for good parts:
Dennis Carpenter
Carolina Classics
Blue Oval Parts
and there's always the generic LMC and MAC.

As for that 292, John Mummert http://www.ford-y-block.com/ has the GOOD stuff.

The people at FordTruckEnthusiasts can help with the truck questions http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/ Lots of knowledge built up there. Not sure that 350 idea will be real popular over there though.....

Just don't forget o come back to RRR and keep us posted! With pictures! :D

Latest posts

Back