Old rotten gass

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like how everyone wants you to dispose of hazardous waste properly but when you call around no one knows where it's supposed to go. I called around ALL day one day trying to figure out where to take some old paint... not one government agency could tell me... so I set it all out to evaporate and sent the dry cans to the dump with the rest of the trash.

Funny though... not one person I talked to could tell me where to properly dispose of hazardous waste.

Typical. Don't trash the enviroment, but, uh, we don't want it either. Kinda like NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard).

That's exactly what our city suggest you do with paint. Our county actually has a good recycling system. In fact, too good cause a lot of our old cars are gone because of it!

Gas is a tough one - I'd ask the fire department.

Old gas

Well the county is looking into what i can do with it. They have a hazzardous waste center but no one is there to man it. Open job for the county- no one that knows what is what will work there for the pay they offer. So.... With all that said i am going to put it into a few 5 gallon cans store it for a few days until the county can get some one out the the center to let me drop it off. Only took 2 days of calling around on mine and there part. They did most of the calling today. The new fuel pump is here, just got it tonight so this week I will be cleaning and doing all the fun stuff of putting the tank back up.

Thank all of you who have given ideas. I really like the idea of putting it in the ex's car!

52 fordman

Kind of unrelated but last week I got a gallon of gas in a clear plastic jug. It was clear coming out of the pump. I left it set out in the sun less than one full one day and it turned orangeish brown.

lately i have seen a few amnisty collections going on. i have no clue where they take it to after that. next time im at work (monday) i will call either dispatch or one of the squad Lieutenants and see if they know where we are supposed to take the stuff.

i guess i should know that information but im still just the rookie at the station so they dont tell me anything. lol

I've had the same problem, no one can tell me where to take old gas. I use some industrial stabilizer called PIR-G that claims to reconstitute stale gas and make it viable to burn in an internal combustion engine. I use it religiously in everything I own with a motor, including cars, trucks, mowers, generators, outboard motors, string trimmers, chainsaw. The motors DO stay in good condition to be able to start right up. Many times if you leave gas in a motor over the winter, then go to start your mower next spring, the gas in the bowl is stale. If you drain it and add fresh gas it usually would start. With PIR-G there is no need to drain anything. I think what it does is to stop carbon in the gas from clumping together. Clumps dont burn. Google PIR-G and get some. I have also used the stabilizer that is red and available everywhere. Not such a big fan of that stuff. The PIR is not cheap, but in this case, I believe you just may get what you pay for.

Not that this helps your cause at all, but here we have a hazardous waste drop off three weeks in a year. Once in the spring, once mid summer and the last is in the fall. Basically take everything and anything as said above about the amnesty. I have dropped some weird stuff off and no questions asked. The previous owner of our house had a 5 gal pail of Muriatic acid in the garage and didnt take it with him, paint cans, aerisol cans, bateries you name it they take it. A buddy who works for the city has told me it is easier for them to allow people to drop this stuff off for free so then they don't put it in bags and send it to the landfill. Best part I learned was they take used oil any day at the city yard, as they get paid by a recycler for used oil...

stale gas

i wouldn't even think about trying to run it in an engine. it will do some sort of harm.if nothing else mix it with your used eng oil when u change your
oil & dispose of it the same way/place. it probably isn't very flamable by now.

Just removed the tank from my '65 F100 project and it smells like turpentine. Had more in the tank than I realized. I'm just going to let it evaporate since I'm not planning on reusing the tank.

Wish I had removed it last weekend. Could have used it on the brush pile I burnt.

Latest posts

Back