"old rusty" budget building a rat rod

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotrod preacher

"Official RRR Chaplain"
well this is beginning a tad prematurely but wanted to file a few pics and stir some contraversy...

have posted some pics of our cab...here it is again...

Attachments

• ratrod project 1 017.jpg
    ratrod project 1 017.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 93
  • ratrod project 1 024.jpg
    ratrod project 1 024.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 80
  • project summer of 68 008.jpg
    project summer of 68 008.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 88
ok... so i went scrounging for some parts at the secret stash....found a 9" rear, but not sure b/c it may wind up with 8 lug dual wheels on the rear...

also traded for this wide 5 ford front axle and wish bone... looked at a few odds n ends while i was there... looking for "inspiration" :D

Attachments

• project summer of 68 005.jpg
    project summer of 68 005.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 96
  • project summer of 68 004.jpg
    project summer of 68 004.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 112
  • project summer of 68 003.jpg
    project summer of 68 003.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 109
let the contraversy begin! i was given-yes you heard right... a lincoln frame-mid 70's probably...5 on 5 wheel pattern.... you get the idea, a frame that is really not good for rat builds....or is it?;)

i had kicked around the idea of putting the independent front clip under a 61 "unibody" truck i have... couldnt get into it... the more i looked at the frame the more i realized it was gonna get hacked up...Oldskool helped me make up my mind about it last friday...rat rod frame is what we have-well almost

here is what i did this afternoon in a few extra minutes of time i had...

Attachments

• 47 rat project 1 002.jpg
    47 rat project 1 002.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 99
  • 47 rat project 1 003.jpg
    47 rat project 1 003.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 47 rat project 1 004.jpg
    47 rat project 1 004.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 47 rat project 1 006.jpg
    47 rat project 1 006.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 47 rat project 1 007.jpg
    47 rat project 1 007.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 90
the tubing on the perimeter ofthe frme is an odd size -to rat frames anyway... 2 1/4" by 4 1/2" probably 1/8" thickness... my opinion is if it was good enough for ford to use holding up a tank of a car, it will be fine for this little truck...;)

the rear "trunk section" wil be used for the rear frame section - per Oldskool's idea... the use of the curved portion "flipped" for my kick-up on the rear section was my idea... (don't want oldskool to get all the credit!:D)

the last pic gives u a rough idea of what we are going for.....

i just need someone to donate another lincoln or i'll have to scrounge up something for the front "engine cradle" section...:rolleyes:

well this is where it is...what it is...and how it is... later HRP

and on the eighth day...God let us build a ratrod!!![ddev

oldskool also made me a little piece of art for my shop... gonna hang it on the walk thru door ...

Attachments

• 47 rat project 1 001.jpg
    47 rat project 1 001.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 95
I have one above the door to the shop....

and on the eighth day...God let us build a ratrod!!![ddev

oldskool also made me a little piece of art for my shop... gonna hang it on the walk thru door ...

Says "quityerbitchin"..... That sign is cool....I'd hang it proudly....LOL..[cl

Keep going, That frame looks just like the 1970 Ford LTD i used and put a whole 1969 Mustang Body on it I welded it right to the frame and installed a new floor. I had a 1969 Mustang with a 460 cu in engine with coils in the rear and all the stuff that came with the 1970 Ford LTD frame. Mustang fit right on had to shortened the front bumper. The steering line up brakes, and shifter. Ford kept things the same for a lot of years and interchangeability with Ford is good

yes you guys figured it out...and quickly too! the hand crank antique lawn mower motor is the powerplant of choice...[ddd

the top is certainly getting chopped, the lower portion of the cab may get sliced off to help with proportions, and the rear lincoln bumper will NOT be used...lol

the top chop will be fully documented as a how to, not b/c i am an expert at chopping tops, but b/c there are many questions on here and many pointers i want to give from a bodyman's perspective...

it will be about a 4" chop probably and with front windshield posts leaned back ...

got to haul off my frame scraps today, & brought home the front axle & wishbone...
also traded for a rolling cart/table to put my cab on... the project has officially moved "indoors" lol:D

a few pics of a frame measuring & mock up session[;)

Attachments

• ratrod project 1 003.jpg
    ratrod project 1 003.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 62
  • ratrod project 1 004.jpg
    ratrod project 1 004.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 59
  • ratrod project 1 005.jpg
    ratrod project 1 005.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 55
  • ratrod project 1 006.jpg
    ratrod project 1 006.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 51
:( sad update ... the 9 year old "project manager" has brought home some bad grades from school...

so we took away an "i-pod" ... not much emotion displayed...:confused:

...threatened a beating of the backside... still not much in the way of remorse... [S

....then i told him NO RATROD BUILDING OR HELPING IN THE SHOp TIL THE GRADES COME UP!!! .... and THEN i had his attention...:rolleyes:

he is definitely a hotrodder, God help him! (and i mean that, Lord, he will need help)

Latest posts

Back