older heads ona newer 350?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratterman

I have a 92 350 that had the center bolt heads and was wanting to use the older 86-down heads on it since I don't have the center bolt heads and I don't like the look of them anyways. My question is are the older heads compatible if i used a set i have from a 1970 something 350? everything will be rebuilt as basically just a stock rebuild with maybe a mild cam.

If you don't have a set of heads you should really check out a set of L31 heads. Summit has them new, but they are center bolts. If you don't like them because of the valve covers you can get finned aluminum valve covers that look just like the old one that mount to center bolt heads.

I think with the correct pushrods you could make them work, but the Vortecs sure do breathe a lot better. Some say almost as well as some of the aftermarket aluminum heads. I have a set on my T, and am using Cal Custom finned valve covers, and to me they don't jump out as being Vortecs unless you really look at them.

Don

tpaintedbodyinstalledonframe009.jpg

hey guys i'm back at gathering parts for my engine and had some more questions.

would there be any reason i can't swap out the crank pulley for a v-belt one from the serp. one the engine came with? I figure I'll use the stock balancer since it came on the engine.

It should work just fine. I know guys that put serp pulleys on older 350's.Most all chevy small block stuff interchanges w/no problem. I've even put older intakes on center bolt heads,ya just gotta elongate the holes a little.

It should work just fine. I know guys that put serp pulleys on older 350's.Most all chevy small block stuff interchanges w/no problem. I've even put older intakes on center bolt heads,ya just gotta elongate the holes a little.

that'll work on the 92 center-bolt heads but not on the Vortec heads, a completely different bolt pattern and angle of bolts makes a new intake manifold neccesary...just thought i'd share

also if you're going to go "old-school" and swap for the older model heads watch out for those big-chamber low compression heads it would killl your HP

yeah i know about the true vortec heads (96-up) being different. and thanks for the info on the large chamber heads, what would be a good stock head to look for? I am not really building this engine for major power but want to use the best combo of parts i can if ya know what i mean. my plan is a stock rebuild with one of comp cams thumper series cams and I still need to figure out what intake and carb i want to use. What i really want is the edelbrock 3x2 intake but am having a super hard time finding 3 rochester carbs to rebuild to use on it.

Latest posts

Back